seriously thinking about a Z3

jeffreyt

having sold my 944 about a year ago I am really missing not having an old car to play with.
I know the Z3 is not that 'old' but I it looks old with those classic lines.
I have a Passat oil burner as my daily runner and a Boxster for when the sun shines but I think a Z3 will fit in nicely.
As an OAP ( long retired) I have the time to work on it so not really looking for a pristine one but must be sound,done my share of cutting and welding !
The 2.8 looks to be the one to have but they seem quite rare so the 2.2 is a possible starter as well.
Will keep you posted on how the search goes.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Jeffrey good luck with whatever you choose and welcome from me near Lincoln.

Tony.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
:welcome: to the Forum from West Cumbria. Both good choices though a tad biased on the 2.8 :whistle:
20220611_214233.jpg

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Hi and :welcome: from Surrey, The 3.0 is not a bad choice either. I have had mine for 14 years.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi Jeffrey and :welcome: from me too in Stafford. I've had my 2.2 for 11 years and it's a great car. Not as many horses as a 2.8 or my 3.0 but a very good choice. You need to drive a few different Zeds to see what you think.

Fender2004

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Hi Jeffrey, welcome to the forum, just buy one you won’t regret it which ever engine you choose. :coolsteer)

Ian&Sue

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 Z3
Hi Jeffrey, :welcome: from North Yorkshire. There are no zeds with poor engines so it's just a case of finding what suits you best.

Ian & Sue. :rally:

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Once you decide what engine you want then take your time looking at the underpinnings and try and find one that isn't crusty underneath in particular the rear subframe and the outer cover cover sills as well as the entire runs of brake lines. All can be DIY projects as well as suspension renewals. As to the engine and the body modules arm yourself with a decent code reader, useful to have one to hand when your looking at cars to scan any proposed buy to check its code free. If an owner declines your request to scan it, walk away.
I can reccomend a Creator 310+ or their latest model 410+ for circa £50 but you will also need a 20pin to 16pin cable changer to use it on the Z3's. All available on ebay.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive

jeffreyt

Once you decide what engine you want then take your time looking at the underpinnings and try and find one that isn't crusty underneath in particular the rear subframe and the outer cover cover sills as well as the entire runs of brake lines. All can be DIY projects as well as suspension renewals. As to the engine and the body modules arm yourself with a decent code reader, useful to have one to hand when your looking at cars to scan any proposed buy to check its code free. If an owner declines your request to scan it, walk away.
I can reccomend a Creator 310+ or their latest model 410+ for circa £50 but you will also need a 20pin to 16pin cable changer to use it on the Z3's. All available on ebay.
thanks,good to know

Keet

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i M Sport
Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

MuttyMax

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44 and 2.8
Welcome…

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
having sold my 944 about a year ago I am really missing not having an old car to play with.
I know the Z3 is not that 'old' but I it looks old with those classic lines.
I have a Passat oil burner as my daily runner and a Boxster for when the sun shines but I think a Z3 will fit in nicely.
As an OAP ( long retired) I have the time to work on it so not really looking for a pristine one but must be sound,done my share of cutting and welding !
The 2.8 looks to be the one to have but they seem quite rare so the 2.2 is a possible starter as well.
Will keep you posted on how the search goes.
Zedshed HQ has a one owner 2.8 for sale I believe.

MuttyMax

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44 and 2.8
How that's better than a BMW Gtee ... :thumbsup: