Secondary air pump delete (or not?)

Howard Meredith

Hi guys (& girls),
I have a '99' S50B32 M coupe with its secondary air pump off the car because of the bearing noise. Bought it used 3 or 4 years ago to replace another noisy pump!!
I have seen many people saying 'delete' it & bin the parts, others saying it does an important job of preventing excess fuel getting on the cats during a cold start.
Has anyone got experience of deleting it from the car?
I have bought a blanking plate for the manifold but haven't yet located its position. Someone PLEASE tell me I haven't got to remove the air con compressor to get to it, things looks so tight on that side of the engine I fear this may have to be done.
Any words of wisdom would be very welcome as I am scratching my bald little head wondering which way to jump at the moment!!
Howard.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
The "Smog" pump was only fitted to comply with California emissions. The motors run just fine without it, but as for where it is on your motor, sorry I don't have a clue. It was the bearings failing on my Z3 which caused me to bin mine.

Tony.

Howard Meredith

Hi Tony,
Its at the bottom of the engine, just below the air con compressor. Catches all the muck from the road, I don't think mine has worked for a while. The noise from the bearing was my main concern, but upon inspection the clutch is corroded & the pump itself is extremely stiff to turn. Another used pump will go the same way fairly quickly I should think. Just got to locate where to blank off the pipe under the exhaust manifold (easier said than done!).
Howard