Rotary polisher

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
The afternoon sunshine was enough for me to get out there and have a go with my new toy (Festool Rotary polisher) I washed the car to remove all the old wax then dried it off and set to work on the bonnet. I used a white polishing sponge first with Megs ultimate compound and went over the whole bonnet about 4 times then removed it with a micofiber cloth

Then I switched to a black polishing sponge with Autoglym deep shine polish and did a panel at at time again removing it with a microfibres cloth, then I went over the whole car with Autoglym high gloss protection and the waxed the car using Dodo juice blue velvet.

My Daughter didn't contribute with the polishing at all !!

Not ever using a polisher before I can't compare it against anything else but it was easy to use and the result is really good, I guess if I applied a little more pressure maybe the result would be better but I was a little scared in case I burnt through the paint !!!

Just don't want to get it dirty now !

bessieblue

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Hi Woody looks good, ive got the das 6 polisher & ive used once & results were good. I do think you need to pratice with them & not be afraid of damaging the paint work. i'm going to pratice on my daughters car soon :)

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
I think that's the right idea and practice on someone else's car !!! I'm liking that.

Summit Detailing

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Resident Detailer
Model of Z
Mercedes C320CDI AMG Sport Estate - Tenorite Grey
No longer a rotary virgin!, good man...any questions just yell:cool:

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
One Question Chris Do you know of a good spray shop down the south as my confidence grows I'm going to have a go on the wife's car tomorrow !!! Oh and the fact she is away all week !!

Summit Detailing

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Resident Detailer
Model of Z
Yes a couple - not that you'll be needing them!

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Chris just sold my car and just waiting to pick up my new Z which is black. What's the best polish and wax for black cars ?

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
What's the best polish and wax for black cars ?
Autoglym High Definition is in my opinion the best wax (within a budget) for dark cars... Use it all the time lasts for ages. Brings an amazing shine to the wifes Black Civic And repels water like magic...

B

badman gee

There are many good waxes or glazes available. The secret is in the preparation.

Hd wax is a great, durable wax.

Zymol make some of the best waxes, but you will pay twice as much as the hd wax

Summit Detailing

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Resident Detailer
Model of Z
Hello Chap,
As Badman has already suggested, 95% of the end result is in the preparation stages.
I'd suggest that what you have already will be absolutely fine.

Unless we're talking about turtle wax colour magic there isn't a wax/sealant better for one colour over another.

To put this in perspective you could machine polish your bonnet to perfection, apply a paint cleanser then apply your Blue Velvet to one side. I could come along and apply Zymol Royale to the other side, buff both off........stand back and the bonnet would look exactly the same all over!...beading, water behaviour, retaining the 'just waxed' look after washing & durability are the only ways you'll tell the difference.

Enjoy the new Zed & post some pics up charting your progress :)

Chris

Chris just sold my car and just waiting to pick up my new Z which is black. What's the best polish and wax for black cars ?

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Thanks chaps can't wait to get my new toy and start cleaning !!! Not that it needs a lot !

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
A cleaning question which I'm I'm pointing at BMG or Chris if I may.

I clean my car and go for a spin and when I return the car has a small amount of what I would call traffic film rather that dirt

Do I !

A: Give the call a dust over with a microfibres cloth ?

B: Wash the car in cold water to prevent removing the wax I applies earlier ?

C: Leave it until its dirty then clean it (but this prevents me from putting my outdoor cover on it)?

D: Don't drive it !!!!!

C: Use a quick detailer (but does this remove the wax) ?

Your comments as always greatly appreciated.

B

badman gee

Quick detailer will be ok.

Should not remove wax

Or get a quick detailer with wax in it.

Summit Detailing

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Resident Detailer
Model of Z
Only 3 options for me in this situation -
- the safest method would be to re-wash or snow foam & rinse.
- QD spray with a super plush microfibre would suffice especially if you haven't paint corrected the car as you won't notice any defects which you may inflict.
- keep driving & wash properly after a week or however long you usually leave between washes.

:)

B

badman gee

Washing is always the best solution, but not always practical after every drive!

Not had a problem with introducing defects with a quick detailer.