Roof not working.

Neilb62

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster.
Hi all, just been out to air the Z3 and roof wouldn’t work, I’ve opened the pump valve and dropped it manually but where to start? I know there’s a micro switch somewhere but how much of a pain is it?
Ta.
Neil.

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
The microswitch is on the passenger side of a RHD car. The switch opens when you lift the roof up a little at the front. The wiring that goes through the roof frame can split and of course the switch itself. Also brake switch under the brake pedal needs to be working. .check your brake lights are working as a starter. Both are not too much work to change.
Zedonist does a good switch and wiring replacement kit.
IMG_3354.jpeg

Last edited:

GZed

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Prefacelift
Hi all, just been out to air the Z3 and roof wouldn’t work, I’ve opened the pump valve and dropped it manually but where to start? I know there’s a micro switch somewhere but how much of a pain is it?
Ta.
Neil.
Have you checked the fuse? You never know

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
The brake light switch also has a role as well, mine as I found out was intermittently working and only found out when I was looking in the rear view mirror not to see functioning on each pedal press and hence my roof only functioning when a complete circuit was being made.

Neilb62

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster.
Roof Fuse good, I’ll check the brake lights when it gets dark.

ExMX5owner

ǝᴉssnⱯ ʎllᴉS
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Roof Fuse good, I’ll check the brake lights when it gets dark.
Although still don't discount the switch even if your brake lights work, and all other avenues exhausted...As my brake lights still worked but the roof did not, and it was the switch or the connection to it...Had me buggared for a bit that one did....

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
Although still don't discount the switch even if your brake lights work, and all other avenues exhausted...As my brake lights still worked but the roof did not, and it was the switch or the connection to it...Had me buggared for a bit that one did....
Very true that ! Also the old one is unlikely to be able to be removed without breaking it

ExMX5owner

ǝᴉssnⱯ ʎllᴉS
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Very true that ! Also the old one is unlikely to be able to be removed without breaking it
Especially in a manual, Auto might be easier. I cut mine off with side snips... I never noticed if the cruise control was working, because I never use it, but I suspect it was probably affected too.. Not sure what wizardry is inside the switch, I never performed an autopsy...:whistle:

Last edited: