Replacing split hose, water pump, thermostat & coolant flush

John_B

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
Afternoon all, I am preparing a list of the tasks I would like to tackle this coming year, and I think the main mechanical ones are as listed in the title.

Since I've had Tandy, he's always ran a little on the cool side on the temp gauge, we have also struggled with MOT emissions which I believe is caused/not helped by a split vac line (no. 11 on this RealOEM diagram below, my understanding is one hose is vacuum, the other hose is coolant, although they are joined together as one unhelpful piece).

Since I will be replacing a coolant hose, I'll be draining the coolant system anyway, and in which case it would be sensible to replace the thermostat & water pump also - is that about right? And the optimist in me thinks they might cure my running cool issue too.

Is there anything else I ought to be replacing while I am at it? Any recommendations for specific parts to use or avoid?

1704887881784.png

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Have replaced most of system on my M44 system but spread over different time periods.
Would recommend you look at replacing expansion tank inc seals, and drain valve while you are at it.
Also check condition of top and bottom rad hoses, heater flow/return hoses, drive belt. All easily done while you have it apart.

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
This, the flange on the rear of the head:
Becomes brittle with age, eventually cracks and causes a mysterious water leak.
If you are replacing it, don’t touch it until you have the replacement to hand. That way you can compare what you remove, not unknown for bits to remain in the head. You can’t see them, so using a phone in selfie mode to check you have everything out is a good move.
Use a good quality socket on the thermostat bolts, surface drive if possible, 10mm. Give a smack with a hammer on the end of the socket, helps to break any corrosion lock before you attempt to twist it.

John_B

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
Thanks all for the advice so far, it's really appreciated! 😍

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Had some ridex parts installed in my Z when I had it. Fitment and look and feel were top.
Can not say about longevity, sold it, so no clue.
But they looked very decent and had a made in Germany sticker in them, so yeah, probably good.