Replacement Audio Head Unit?

Lemon

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8i Automatic
Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice please! I have a 1998 Z3 Japanese Import and the original head unit only picks up Radio 2. I have tried the cigarette lighter FM Transmitter but that whines when accelerating and the whole lighter unit has come free of the facia when I pull it out so nervous to use it.

Can anyone recommend a decently priced replaceMent that has the BMW illumination? I like the Blaupunkt Bremen & Frankfurt but they are a bit pricey?

cheers
Danny

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
If you don’t need a cd, Blaupunkt have about 4 -5 units under £150, depends whether you want dab or not. I’m sure two of them have red illumination, sorry can’t remember the names.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
IIRC @Mint has one such unit?

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
IIRC @Mint has one such unit?

Tony.
True Tony I did, I went for a Blaupunkt unit with DAB etc but I went for white illumination to match(ish) the brushed ally console.
Very pleased with the unit too:thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thank you Dave.:thumbsup:

Tony.

Dxbolton

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 auto
I have Blaupunkt Valencia with Bluetooth etc. looks great, works great.
I think the display is white letters but buttons illuminate red.

Lemon

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8i Automatic

Attachments

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Here is mine, it's the Nurnberg model...
1705257311920.png

Jam03

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
Madrid for me. It’s the most basic, non DAB version. Bluetooth streaming and hands free phone operation is excellent. Radio reception not great for some reason but hardly ever use it that way. Charging of phone via usb not very good. Illuminating of buttons matches well. This was about £100.
7C1EDF89-44EC-4822-8308-F504D3D0CFF6.jpeg

Dxbolton

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 auto
Madrid for me. It’s the most basic, non DAB version. Bluetooth streaming and hands free phone operation is excellent. Radio reception not great for some reason but hardly ever use it that way. Charging of phone via usb not very good. Illuminating of buttons matches well. This was about £100.
View attachment 288371
Did you change the aerial? The earth wire for the radio is attached to the antenna in the boot so unless you reconnect it the radio sign is very poor.
I added a DAB antenna to the front screen.

Jam03

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
Did you change the aerial? The earth wire for the radio is attached to the antenna in the boot so unless you reconnect it the radio sign is very poor.
No, everything is unchanged from my previous head unit. I checked all the bits in the boot when I changed the grommet and all connected as it should be. I’ll take it all out and check again one day.

MichalP

Model of Z
Z3
Hi all, following this and sorry if stupid question. I have the BMW Business RDS with 6 CD changer and considering to replace the unit with Blaupunkt Valencia. When you replaced your head units, did you use wiring adaptor or did the plugs just match? Cheers

Lemon

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8i Automatic
I cheated and had my Sony replaced professionally - sorry can’t advise.

Tony Francis

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.8 M43TU
I had the Valencia in my Zed when I bought it with a separate aerial in the windscreen. It matches well but it would only tune into DAB stations which out in the sticks where I live was not very good! FM would not tune in at all, I think something to do with the way the original radio is wired. I replaced it with an original radio/cassette unit which works perfectly for FM.
So for sale is a perfectly good Valencia unit with cage & wiring adapter!

Trevor /chedder

Zorg Addict
Hi DX I'm having poorish signal with a replacement antenna, where would I attach the earth, anywhere handy?