Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Guide Remove Fuel Sender - Fix Faulty Petrol / Fuel Gauge ?

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by spurs fan in a coupe, Aug 15, 2013.

1. spurs fan in a coupe

spurs fan in a coupe Zorg Guru (IV)
    3rd Party Trader

Hi,

My fuel gauge hasn't worked in about 4 years! I just fill up every 200 miles!

I read that it is probably the fuel sender unit, tucked away behind the Off Side seat.

So today I took a 'spare' out of the Green 1.9 Z3 that I bought to break and steal parts from, this gauge sender was one of the reasons why I ever bought the boston green car.

Here goes -

1st - I removed the seat, not sure you have to, but a fair amount of petrol spilt when I took the unit out.
    2 rear bolts and 2 front bolts, then undo the wiring clips, sorry no photos for this part.

[​IMG]

2nd - cut the perforated notches in the panel of carpet behind the seat with a Stanley knife (other knives are available)

[​IMG]

3rd - remove the 4 Phillips screws on the panel

[​IMG]

4th - unclip the slider unit, pushes sideways first then away (bottom right in photo)

[​IMG]

5th - remove the jubilee / metal cable tie style clips using a bit of brute force and a mixture of pillars and long nose pillars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6th - remove the black screw top, using a flat screwdriver and persuader as required

[​IMG]

7th - gently ease the sender unit out (it is delicate), I had to stop and put a plastic box under the car to catch seeping petrol and a rag to soak up the fuel in the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8th - done!

[​IMG]

If you're lucky I'll put an install gude in too, but I'm guessing it will be the same in reverse!

2. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    Thanks for that it's a very interesting read, I never knew you could access the sender unit from the back of the chair always presumed you would have to drop the tank.

3. swamper

swamper Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter M Power

Model of Z:
    z3m
    good stuff.always handy to know

4. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    #4 GazHyde, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. spurs fan in a coupe

spurs fan in a coupe Zorg Guru (IV)
    3rd Party Trader

Yep spot on Gaz, there was very little fuel in the donor car and it made a right mess. So I emptied the tank on my coupe before swapping the units over.

The good news is that it has fixed the fuel gauge problem!

And for free (ish)

Great write up by the way, cheers