Q: Z4 E89 key fob battery replacement

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 E89 20i sdrive roadster
I have two of the rechargeable key fobs, one is fine, the other the battery has stopped taking a charge due to lack of use. It does start the car okay though, its just I cant hold the button and open the roof on the fob.

I remember seeing a drawing somewhere, I think the battery is standard, but I seem to recall it is piggy backed on a little metal frame inside the housing.

I decided to ask BMW if the battery could be replaced, they said no, and gave me this nugget for a replacement fob complete:

There are various security procedures in place if you did want to order a new key, which would involve you bringing the car into your local BMW retailer with photographic ID and proof of ownership of the car. The price of a new key is £312.80.

At that price, I'm willing to get my old Weller soldering iron out and replace the washer in my solder-sucker.

Has anyone done this / any comments / references / links ? Or do I just put my hand in my pocket . . .

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 E89 20i sdrive roadster
There is now a better answer on the forum, so probably easiest to link to the other article.

Incudes links, photos, how-to from @Corky999 - thanks bud.