Q:Tyre gel ?

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 E89 20i sdrive roadster
For detailing I'm generally a bit of a fan of Meguiar's for ease of use and quality of finish. One product I'm not sure I'm happy with is the tyre gel. Looks good applied, run out eg to a show, on return it looks . . . well, a bit . . . Not done ?

As a young lad I'd get the black shoe polish out. I dont need the tyres to shine or anything, I'd just like them to stay looking black . . . for . . . a while ?

Any knock out product out there that I don't know about / can be recommended ?

TIA

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I've used Meguiars and Turtle Wax amongst others but I usually gravitate back to Autoglym.

Tony.

ps. It smells nice too!

Last edited:

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
Perl, It works wonders everywhere, but it is silicone oxide so dont get it on your garage floor, unless you like to go arsey boo once in a while.. :whistle:. Doubles well as an engine bay treatment, tonneau cover, dash door cards , petroleum free so doesn't leach oils out of rubber..Waxit product, Ive used it for years. Carpro Perl, not sure if you can get it over there though, I have not looked.. But cheap if you buy 4 liters, that will last longer than the car...

1955Davidr

Zorg Legend
Supporter
I swear by Turtle Wax Wetn Black tyre dressing, did both our cars 3 weeks ago and still looking good, will get a pic later.

1955Davidr

Zorg Legend
Supporter
I wasn’t aware there was a gel and it was the spray I used, pics below and it was last done
IMG_3900.jpeg
IMG_3899.jpeg
prior to Oulton Park trip on 1st June.

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
That looks more like it, thanks, I'll give that a go.

Nice wheels, nice colour, nice car !

Thanks for your help, thats appreciated.

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
PXL_20240622_181443731.MP.jpg
PXL_20240622_181743931.MP.jpg

Before and after, give this a go . . .

I don't have the application right yet. It says spray and leave, but I can't help myself, gave it a wipe. It says theres no overspray but I can't seem to prevent it. Wipe it off the alloy but also got some on the brake disk - paper towel.

Label says its very slippery stuff. Feels like liquid silicon to me. I've got a run out to the North Yorkshire Moors planned tomorrow, see what it looks like when I get back . . .

1955Davidr

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Having used it for a few years now I just spray heavily and leave it, any overspray is gone within a day or so, like you I started gently and it was counterintuitive to go heavier, it works though!

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
PXL_20240623_164156856.MP.jpg

More than 200 glorious top down miles today over the North Yorkshire Moors, including a Sausage & Egg Bap at The Gavel & Bean (Ryedale Auctioneers) for sustenance.

Tyres still look black, happy with that. I'm going to persevere, next application all thick and heavy, looks like I may have found the solution.

Thanks for your advice @1955Davidr !

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
I use wonder wheels gel, good for dressing up engine bits as well