Prospective Owner, advice on getting dry stored car going..

Hi all. I am a prospective owner, been tracking cars etc, but have a great opportunity on a low mileage Z3 2.2 sport, that's been dry stored, not run for 3 years or so, fluids not drained, not on axle stands. What kind of issues should I expect? What should I be doing to get it sorted, and any pitfalls to avoid. Thanks a lot. Gordon.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I'd start off with a complete fluid change, engine oil, coolant, brake fluids, gearbox & differential. Worth draining the fuel tank and re-priming it with fresh fuel too along with a new fuel filter.

Look over all the rubber cooling & air induction pipes in the engine bay for deterioration.

If you don't have records for changes to things like the water pump/thermostat/belts I'd consider those too. Had a few people with water pumps failing due to age rather than mileage.

If it's been sat on the tyres in the same position for 3 years I'd consider them junk and in need of replacement.

I'm sure others will be along with the things I've missed.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Power Steering and aircon (if fitted) and brakes (possible seized pistons/handbrake) would be well worth a look. Check for rodents too.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Can't speak for your car but mine was garage stored for 5 years before I bought it earlier this year . Like @GazHyde said the 1st thing did was change engine oil, gearbox oil ,diff oil brake fluid anti freeze plugs fuel filter etc. Have to admit done 2500 miles in it now no problems as for the tyres stripped down checked no problems found

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
Power Steering and aircon (if fitted) and brakes (possible seized pistons/handbrake) would be well worth a look. Check for rodents too.
Rodents is a good one to remember. Many a stored car with ruined wiring looms and nasty surprises inside trim and seats.

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
Just looked my old 3.0 and seen it is SORN..... I wonder? Can't find my lovely 330 Clubsport though. That would be a nice dry store re-find.

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
I suppose I better add the fact I'm a mechanic and mot tester so could tackle all that myself
I could on my old cars. I won't "swear" but.... MG Midget 1275, Fiat X1/9 Bertone, Range Rover 3.9 Classic all rebuilt and resprayed ground up by me. Modern cars I get lost as soon as there are no points to set.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
You've made a wise decision with your zed :thumbsup:as you've obviously been a gluten for punishment in the past :whistle::whistle:

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
You've made a wise decision with your zed :thumbsup:as you've obviously been a gluten for punishment in the past :whistle::whistle:
Oh I had a lot of punishment with cars in the past! That list is just the tip of the iceberg. I would add them all up but i don't have enough digits without taking my shoes off.

First car.............. 1.3 Metro.... how is that for punishment?

2.0 MG Montego..... getting any better/worse?

But some other excellent ones 3.0 Z4 Roadster and 330 Clubsport ex press car were other stand out cars; as was my Alfa 147 Cloverleaf and Alfa GT.

VW T5 is a current cracking one.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
All, the above - I've seen a small amount of diesel sprayed into the cylinders trough the spark plug holes and then manually crank the engine before you fire it up - it puts a layer of oil inside the cylinder to lubricate it from inside.
If its not been moved while stored, consider the tyres a right off - change them simply for safety's sake even if they look fine.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
I put my old Merc on the road 2 years ago after 6 years dry storage. I gave her a full service, changed all the fluids, new brake pads all round, new radiator, new battery. In the first 6 months in use I also fitted 4 new tyres and a new alternator. It cost me best part of £1000 all in including MOT and road tax

JAJ278

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4M Roadster
I put my old Merc on the road 2 years ago after 6 years dry storage. I gave her a full service, changed all the fluids, new brake pads all round, new radiator, new battery. In the first 6 months in use I also fitted 4 new tyres and a new alternator. It cost me best part of £1000 all in including MOT and road tax
Yep that's about the price. Cost me £1,250 in total just for the parts, labour, MOT and cleaning.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Can't argue either point John. I still sometimes see some old school motors for MOT. Doesn't help much though.=))

Tony.