Project YouWhyWhy

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Still, suck, squeeze, bang and blow though. It's just the way it happens that has changed a bit. I had the main engine earth corrode away on a 55 plate 2.5 tdi VW Touareg some years ago. How I got it started was to place a jump lead from the engine block to a good earth on the body.

Tony.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Cheers guys.
I think it might just be wishing for the earth strap to sort it, I was really looking forward to a run out this weekend. I don't have much, so my car time is important to me.
Once i get paid it'll be back in the garage for a pro diagnostic and a smoke test, I can't miss out on any more summer!

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I think the bonnet earth strap only comes into play for the heated washer nozzles, but could be wrong.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Anything's a bonus! 😂

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Had a bit of a brainwave about this.
If I can't find an air leak, but the symptoms are there, the problem must be fairly deep in the engine.
Last time it was in the garage, I think they had the inlet manifold off, so maybe they didn't replace the gasket so now it leaks after being disturbed?
I'll check the invoice when I get home on Monday, but sadly I can't take the car back as that garage has since closed.

backseateducation

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I was hoping to get time to have a look at this soon, but I don't really feel confident taking the inlet manifold off so I've booked it in to another garage next week, I should be able to limp it there. In fairness the guy immediately suggested a smoke test, and he also said he won't keep on and on trying things and running up a huge bill 😂 . I'm away on a course for the next week or so they can look at it at their leisure.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
...he also said he won't keep on and on trying things and running up a huge bill...
Will you get that in writing? :whistle: Or say you will just pay for the thing that actually fixes the problem;)
Hope he can fix it for you, then you can get some roof down drives in before Winter:thumbsup: