#ZedShed Project Vixen - Sterling Grey Z3 2.8 Sport+

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
As you have all read @Shortie_gal has finally got a Z3 all to herself, and obviously at some stage it was gonna need some Zed Shed loving for some urgent issues.

First off was a badly ripped rear screen surround, smashed fog lamp, broken front kidney grill & broken ash tray. The next couple of updates will be when we replace the discs and pads all round - Lee will be ordering those tomorrow.

We've managed to find another source of Z3 parts, which I will be posting up about separately - but luckily he had 2 Z3's in with hoods. Headed over there this afternoon to scout out this guys operation and snag the best of the 2 available.

I'll apologise for some of the pictures as I asked @Shortie_gal to hold my phone while I was climbing the piles of Zed panels.... :eek:

Lee got to work removing the chosen roof from a V plate 2.8 facelift....
20160124_155801.jpg

Half an hour later and it's off!
20160124_160736.jpg

We spent nearly 3 hours chatting with the guy there, but eventually got back to the Zed Shed and put our new junior apprentice to work fitting the new fog lamp... #GirlsWithSpanners :D
20160124_173020.jpg

Old one was beyond serviceable.
20160124_173315.jpg

Salvaged kidney grill fitted, Sam just shining the existing one to match!
20160124_174142.jpg

The most pressing issue was the existing screen, and as you can see from the picture it was beyond repair. The screen was also really cloudy, not seen one this bad before.
20160124_170412.jpg

We found it's really easy removing the old hood when you can take the rear screen out. Lee is removing the retaining screws from the hood where it fixes to the bulkhead.
20160124_174341.jpg

Once the roof is out the way you have to remove the previous sealant so that you can bond new butyl tape in it's place. You'll see this better in later picture, but it's a laborious process akin to picking chewing gum out of the tread of your trainers.
upload_2016-1-24_21-30-49.png

Really need a password on my phone....
20160124_181428.jpg

Still picking away...
20160124_181857.jpg

How the existing sealant looks close up. We found that using some plastic tyre levers from a bicycle repair kit the most effective way of removing it!
20160124_181912.jpg

This ain't Lees first rodeo when it comes to changing Z3 hoods. This is the 3rd I think, and he had some tape in stock - and amazingly just enough to do the job! This tape is exceptionally important as it makes a waterproof seal so your boot doesn't fill with water when it rains!
20160124_182314.jpg

20160124_182553.jpg

The finished article! We don't think this was the original roof, and we aren't convinced it's OEM either - but it's a nice clean unfaded roof. It's a sewn in rear screen and it's not got much in the way of a fold mark on it either.
20160124_195253.jpg

Not having done a roof before I was really surprised at how straight forward it is. Took us less than 2 hours to remove the old and fit the new!

Next up will be brakes, and that will most likely be tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Good stuff, you lot made that look easy putting the other soft top on, Frankie's thread, a while ago now, made it look like a right SOB.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Nice work guys and gal. Always looks easier when someone else is doing it.:thumbsup:

Tony.

Shortie_gal

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
It wasnt too bad at all, but maybe thats because this is the 3rd or 4th one now :cool:

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Looks like a job well done ;) I'm interested in a couple of parts for my zed do I see that zed has a facelift asc switch? I need one and a bit of the loom attached to it for my console.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I'm interested in a couple of parts for my zed do I see that zed has a facelift asc switch? I need one and a bit of the loom attached to it for my console.
We'll be posting the guys contact details up at some stage, can't do it straight away as Lee has his business card ....

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Great thread @GazHyde. Apart from the technical stuff which is great, I noticed that on every photo with Sam on she has a huge grin on her face:p. @Shortie_gal looks really happy to have her own Zed.:thumbsup:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

BMBabe

Zorg Guru (V)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Awesome work Zedders :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see what shoes you chose :happy:
Sam we will have to arrange a Zed meet to welcome the new Zeds to Zorg :p:D

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Good job by all. Very interesting to see the progress and the smiles it brings

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Great work, really interested in this Z3 stash! especially if its local ;)

Shortie_gal

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
aw wow, so are we! we'll have to get you out in the zed soon! :D

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Good stuff, you lot made that look easy putting the other soft top on, Frankie's thread, a while ago now, made it look like a right SOB.
@hard top's quote: "Good stuff, you lot made that look easy putting the other soft top on, Frankie's thread, a while ago now, made it look like a right SOB."

You're so right!!!! The first one's always a bi@@h! This was compounded by having to do it outside, and buying to wrong top. @GazHyde, how did you make out with the cables? Did you have the kind that had to be removed from their old brackets? Or was this a different top that this wasn't necessary? And the old caulk is a mess. I used the same new caulk in the white strip, I think from 3M. Frankie