Professor Green - in the garage, with the wrench

marke

Australian Zeds
Model of Z
z3
Greetings,

I'm about to take delivery of my first z3 on Saturday. I picked it up at a moderate price - it seems straight but I know I have several small jobs that need doing and thought this would be a good place to document them.
I have two questions (also on the introductions page)
  • do you store your convertible with the top up or down? (my first convertible)
  • I want to change the oil straight up - there was a very slight muddiness I was assured was from an additive (sounds dodgy I know) I was told an older car should have a heavier oil - also bmws tend to use oil more on average. What are peoples thoughts on this?
Other jobs I need to do:
  • Fan Speed Resistor
  • Air Intake Boot
  • seat bushes
  • centre console rejuvenation (couple of cracks and I want a cup holder)
what fun!

Attachments

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
...Do you store your convertible with the top up or down?
I was told an older car should have a heavier oil - also bmws tend to use oil more on average. What are peoples thoughts on this?...
Hi Mark, I store mine with the top up but unlatched. But mine is under a car port so not at the mercy of the British weather.
You don't say what engine you have, but the story about BMW Z3s using oil normally refers to the M54 engine. I have two M54s which don't drink much oil, even my 2.2 which is on 202,000 miles now. I do an oil change about every 8,000 miles using 5W-40 synthetic oil. They both run sweet. HTH.;)

PhilH67

Zorg Addict
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
being in rural Oz, rust shouldn't be a problem at least :p

Idleness

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
I store mine with top up but windows open, it's under a cloth cover in the garage when not in use.