Probie saying hello!

zedzen

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Hello to all!

Im based in deepest darkest Suffolk and decided to take the plunge and buy a BMW Z3 about a week ago. I'm not massively au fait with the brand having come from a motorbike background (therefore, by default not liking X5 drivers at all) but with growing daughter and girlfriend's confirmed love of speed I thought safety would be better met in a cockpit rather than on my Fireblade!

So my open top search started with considering the new Morgan 3 wheeler but one visit to their website and seeing the price (30k) quickly put that idea to bed. Next stop was going through endless Mazda MX5 adverts on Autotrader....and after I woke up.....I remembered how I loved the Z3 Coupe in the days when money and petrol were no object but never took the plunge a bought one. Two obvious things put me off...1. the prices and 2. funny enough it wasn't a rag top. This obviously pushed me towards the Roadster.

Having successfully found a low mileage 929 Fireblade last February (4,000 miles) I started to get the what-if syndrome wondering whether any pampered pooches existed in Zed Land. Autotrader provided the answer with a 3 litre 2000 model with 7,000 on the clock, asking price £9,850. Yep, steep and no M model. But the allure for the car wouldn't go away so I foolishly went to have a once over and having haggled a few hundred off her, took the plunge.

Such a sensible choice with petrol prices and Iran banging her tin drum. Or, the optimist might argue when the black stuff runs out, what a fantastic coffee table base.

Either way, I am very happy to be the second owner. The paintwork on the bonnet needs attention from previous owner's cat (including the driver door where girlfriend's dogs looked in within 5 minutes of getting back to her house....dogs and gf not yet under patio).

So there you have it. Bright shiny new toy. Immediate problem with the car now though is whether to go BMW stamp all the way or just go with an Indie. The price diff looks like 50% but, given this would be her first ever service, low miles, etc, what would anyone suggest?

Regards to all, Rob

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Hi Rob and welcome to our forum.
Happy Zedding :)

Z3nt from m'iPhone on Tapatalk

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Welcome to Zorg Rob :-bd

Glad you managed to get registered. Friendly enough bunch on here, and you will be of course pestered for photo's of your lovely Zed.

Couple of interesting things to look at first...

Zed Fest - 500 Zeds at Silverstone in July - http://zroadster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=324

Getting the most from Zorg (uploading pictures, Tapatalk access, newsletter subscriptions and much more) - http://zroadster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1002

Gary

BTW -You can also get Zorg updates on...

https://www.facebook.com/zroadster.org - Like us.
https://twitter.com/ZRoadsterdotorg - Follow us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZRoadsterdotorg - Subscribe to us.

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Welcome Rob to the Forum
A great bunch on here
A lot of helpful info and a great knowledge base
I hope you enjoy the Z
:D :D
A good time to buy :coolsteer) :coolsteer)

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
a big welcome Rob :ymhug: glad you're up and running here.

Gary has mentioned the pictures so looking forward to those ;) Are you planning on hanging on to the car for a while or do you think it's a short term thing. I think if you;re hanging on to it then a good indie would be the way to go as we have been discussing recently the merits of going that way. After 14 years of dealership servicing mine went in last year to an indie for an oil service as after a previous visit to the local dealer they had a worrying lack of knowledge about the car due to it's age.

I'll let everyone else pitch in with their thoughts though :)

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
board said:
a big welcome Rob :ymhug: glad you're up and running here.

Gary has mentioned the pictures so looking forward to those ;) Are you planning on hanging on to the car for a while or do you think it's a short term thing. I think if you;re hanging on to it then a good indie would be the way to go as we have been discussing recently the merits of going that way. After 14 years of dealership servicing mine went in last year to an indie for an oil service as after a previous visit to the local dealer they had a worrying lack of knowledge about the car due to it's age.

I'll let everyone else pitch in with their thoughts though :)

Hi Rob, welcome to Zorg. This is a cracking forum full of freindly people. As for servicing, well, I'm not a big fan of main dealers. A main dealer will do precious little for 200 quid, for the same money a good indie will give you a thorough service. Good choice of car by the way, I have a 2001 3.0. Cheap to run and goes like stink :-bd

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
how do.........c'mon lets have some pics then :D

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Hi Rob, its a big zeddy welcome from me too \:D/ looking forward to pics, glad you found us here :D

Z

zedonist

Hi Rob, and Welcome to a great fraternity, you have chosen a fantastic marque, i know there may be better roadsters out there, the S2000, but you wont find one with a personality quite like the Zed..............

As for Iran, when the black gold goes, I will still be sitting in my Zed, with a play station, 50 inch tv for a wind screen and Need 4 Speed, what an ultimate simulator.................

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
:)) @ zedonist.................iv been know just to go and sit in mine anyway :))

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
swamper said:
:)) @ zedonist.................iv been know just to go and sit in mine anyway :))
^^

Hi Rob -
Big Zorg welcome from me, fantastic choice of car in the end, though we are all somewhat biaised :D

Looking forward to piccies - shiny zeds with the top down, can't beat 'em !!!

Hope you and Your girlfriend join us on some meets - promise we won't mention the dog or the patio :p

Fantastic time to buy a zed if you fancy parading in and around Silverstone in it - get yourself signed up for ZedFest it's gonna be Awesome !!!!!

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Hi Rob,

You may want to have a look at this thread as well which is about servicing and also maybe start another one specifically for your car as the mileage is so low to get some more feedback from everyone :)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=744&hilit=service

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
Greetings zedzen, probie! don't you mean student zedder ;)

zedzen

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Well,

first and foremost that's the nicest welcome I've had from any owners' forum so thank you to you all!

Pictures of my car will follow in a few day's time after body shop and the fact it's tucked up in my gf's garage miles away from where I live (maritime environment a major issue where i am especially when you don't have a garage!)

However, I will take up the advice and start another service thread and see what people think....

rob

zedzen

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Service route painlessly sorted within several hours of advice! Happy days.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
zedzen said:
Service route painlessly sorted within several hours of advice! Happy days.

Great stuff, now hurry up with those pictures! :D :coolsteer) :coolsteer)

bessieblue

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
hi Rob , welcome. not to far away from you , as im in chelmsford. had a run upto Aldborugh last weekend , its a nice run . cheers pete