Pound a day

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
I have 3 'historic' vehicles for cheap motoring. How long before the government twig to the idea and limit the number of days a year you can use them?

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
I have 3 'historic' vehicles for cheap motoring. How long before the government twig to the idea and limit the number of days a year you can use them?
Every second weekend and only within your area code unless you participate at an event for us down here.
as a result of many historicals being used as daily transportation they went full strict since last year.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
I've said it before. If they just put all the road tax into the cost of fuel then everyone would pay their fair share based on how much fuel they consume.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
I've said it before. If they just put all the road tax into the cost of fuel then everyone would pay their fair share based on how much fuel they consume.
But that would be totally unfair to the people who use the vehicles as business tools.
A plumber would have to roll over his fuel cost to your pocket. Or even worse, how much more expesnive would taxi fairs be?

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
But that would be totally unfair to the people who use the vehicles as business tools.
A plumber would have to roll over his fuel cost to your pocket. Or even worse, how much more expesnive would taxi fairs be?
I never thought of it like that. But you're suggesting that my road tax is high because I'm subsidising the cost of bus fares even though I never use a bus.

Maybe taxis and other transport companies should get a rebate on their fuel paid for by the extra tax collected from foreign registered trucks on the road.

D R Oldfield

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Great idea if it's not too rusty!! :)
No full body restoration including brakes steering etc bought from an old bloke in Worcester who did all the work then died full photo diary of everything he did just need the front seats recovering

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
I never thought of it like that. But you're suggesting that my road tax is high because I'm subsidising the cost of bus fares even though I never use a bus.

Maybe taxis and other transport companies should get a rebate on their fuel paid for by the extra tax collected from foreign registered trucks on the road.
a suggestion that has been around for many years in my part of the world, but never made it to the parliament is a different tax scale on fuel depending on the type of vehicle.
Meaning that vehicles registered as business or agricultural (tractors, buses, taxis etc) should have a lower VAT than normal, therefore we could roll over road tax to the gas pump.
But then the electric ones came along, so back into the loophole we are.