Possible Alarm issue

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
2003 2.5 had a faily long trip out yesterday in the rain, parked on the drive which is a level surface and locked the car with the key remote. Short time later her in doors said car alarm is flashing the lights. Opened the car using the remote and checked the bonnet and boot and both doors were closed. Locked the car with the remote and within a short time it started flashing the lights again, no audible sound when this happens. Locked the car with the key which disabled the alarm and left it over night.
Today scanned it with BMW Scanner 1.4 after checking doors boot and bonnet were all secure. Locked with the remote and so far it didn't activate, with the alarm set I opened the boot with the key and the alarm flashed the indicators which I expected. Used the key remote to unlock and then locked it again. I did notice that when locking there was no flash of the indicators. Read the codes and the only code was me opening the boot with the key, it was listed as an historic code. I cleared the code. On relocking with the remote the indicators then flashed indicating it was locked. The Clowns nose light on the rear view mirror blinks away. Left it locked all day and so far no activations. I would add that I pulled the bonnet switch out and sprayed it with contact cleaner before leaving it on test. Will put it on INPA and have a closer look at the componant parts to see if anything is wrong with them. The absence of an audible alarm when activated needs looking at, its either duff or maybe coded out of use if thats possible, will have a look with the coding software that came with INPA.
Question is where is the siren unit, not had a good look for it yet, also where it the tilt sensor located

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
...... The absence of an audible alarm when activated needs looking at, its either duff or maybe coded out of use if thats possible, will have a look with the coding software that came with INPA............
Have had that problem a few times on an earlier version alarm. Found that by remote setting the alarm system and then deliberately activating an alarm by opening door with key it reset. No technical explanation available but it has worked a number of times!!!o_O

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
The only problem I have had with Z3s alarm (twice, with 2 different cars) is the under bonnet switch. Cleaning doesn't help, only solution is replace.

MarkPlant

Zorg Addict
If z4, notorious for bonnet switch failing, can be just unplugged to see if it cure's the issue then either replace or leave unplugged

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hear what you all say about the bonnet switch, knew it was a weak point in the system from old posts, will have another look at it, so far it hasn't gone off since I cleaned it, will monitor it and explore using INPA to see if anything is amiss.

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
The tilt sensor on a Z3 is in the left well of the boot. If the well fills with water then the sensor tends to set off the alarm. Suggest that you inspect the sensor for water ingress.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Know that Murray but alarm issue on my Z4

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Could your car need a new battery?!? Similar happened to my Z. Hence, question.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Battery seems ok, starts first go and have checked charging rate, all shows good.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
M
Battery seems ok, starts first go and have checked charging rate, all shows good.
My advice is to get it checked. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Activated the alarm by unlocking the boot with the key which set the flashers off but no audible alarm. Reset with remote and relockesd using the remote, single flash indicated alarm set as did clowns nose. Two days and alarm not gone off so looks like like whatever caused it to trigger in the first place has put itself right. Still need to see why there is no audible alarm when triggered. Not had a good look for the siren, anyone point me in the right direction to find it? Also tilt sensor if indeed it has one?
Plan on looking at the coding using NCS to see what things are set to as well.

Last edited:

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Been a couple of weeks now and no reoccurence of the alarm going off, still got to investigate where the siren is located and check the coding as there is no beep when the car is locked with the remote just a flash of the indicators.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Been a couple of weeks now and no reoccurence of the alarm going off, still got to investigate where the siren is located and check the coding as there is no beep when the car is locked with the remote just a flash of the indicators.
That's all I get on my Z4 Col. 1 flash of all 4 indicators when I lock the car. Nothing when I unlock, although I think you can "code" other actions using Carly.

Tony.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Do you get any sound if the alarm is activated Tony?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
To be honest I can't remember mate, but I seem to think it was set off in the work car park soon after I got it. Not sure where the sounder is though.

Tony.