Pingu's Next Project - A Flowbench

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Every day is a school day with you @Pingu, look forward to seeing your mad invention even if I don’t fully understand what your doing :)

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
Binned the old one.

Next attempt...

It's still not good enough. I'm going to bin the orifice tube in the image (and the Helgesen plate that is inside the tube).

Instead, I'm going to attempt to build a tube and plate structure that meets the requirements of BS1042 / ASME MFC-3M-2004 - not an easy task :wideyed:

Then my intention is to further modify this flowbench program to calculate the "flowbench variable" and the tolerance in the results - watch this space.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Manometer, orifice and orifice tube. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.:whistle:

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
I've redesigned the flowbench. It was a comparative flow bench and could only compare one system with another.

The new flow bench has been made (as close as I could) to an ISO standard (ISO 5167). This means that results can be compared with other flow benches.

The calculations that turn the results into real values are quite complicated, but I wrote an Excel spreadsheet to do the hard graft.

For anyone who is really sad, I've posted the spreadsheet and the algorithms on Pistonheads :wideyed:.

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
Here's the latest evolution of the flow bench. I've used it to compare the flow rate to the MAF signal voltage...

0:07 to 0:47 shows the parts of the flow bench
0:47 to 1:07 shows how the MAF is wired
1:07 to 2:10 shows the measurements that I will take from the rig
2:10 to 4:57 shows the rig in operation and the actual measurements that were taken
4:57 to 7:10 shows the data being input into the CFM calculator and the results
7:10 to 9:07 shows the analysis comparing a standard air filter to one with a modified air straightener