Petrol Aditives.

Mike Fishwick

Zorg Legend
French Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I have used Millers Power Plus for ages, after finding that on a Golf GTi the injectors slowly biult up a 'cone' of carbon over about 80,000 miles or so. After using the additive the injectors stayed like new. It is also supposed to increase the octane rating slightly, and provide lubrication to the fuel system.

I used their Diesel product in our Golf TDI after about 50,000 miles, when it made a significant improvement in mpg and general engine smoothness. After almost 250,000 miles the TDI has never had its injectors removed, has great performance, and will still do 60 mpg.

Although some people will doubtless claim all additives to be 'Snake Oil,' my experience has been positive.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Aditives. Always reminds me of my Dad. We'd pull into the petrol station and my Dad would always say "Three shots, three gallons" Yes way back in the days when there'd be a chap filling your car, checking your oil and wiping your windscreen.

I have no idea what the 'shots' were. I imagine something like redX.

Many (many) years later when I got my first car and said to the attendant "three shots three gallons" and he looked at me like I was talking gibberish.

He didn't wipe the windscreen either.

Bloo Toon Davie

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
I have used Millers Power Plus for ages, after finding that on a Golf GTi the injectors slowly biult up a 'cone' of carbon over about 80,000 miles or so. After using the additive the injectors stayed like new. It is also supposed to increase the octane rating slightly, and provide lubrication to the fuel system.

I used their Diesel product in our Golf TDI after about 50,000 miles, when it made a significant improvement in mpg and general engine smoothness. After almost 250,000 miles the TDI has never had its injectors removed, has great performance, and will still do 60 mpg.

Although some people will doubtless claim all additives to be 'Snake Oil,' my experience has been positive.
Morning Mike, thanks for your comment, I have started using Redex in my 1.9 and find it running smoother and looks like mpg, has improved also.I will stick to Redex it is a name I know from the past. I could be a bit stuck in my ways and old fashioned.

Last edited:

ZEDonist UK

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster
I think the additives have their value and I use them.

I do about 50,000 miles a year in a 2.0 diesel insignia which now has 235,000 miles on it.
I use redex every 4 or 5 tanks which works out as once every 4-6 weeks.
I had some engine work done at about 185,000 miles and the garage was impressed by how clean the internals were.
Maybe thanks to additives? I don’t know.

We had a used and abused 2.0 litre petrol Ford Focus. Poorly looked after and failed MOT on emissions. Used a full bottle of additive in a 55 litre tank (double strength) and it got through the MOT and lasted another 35,000 miles and several years before rust killed it.
Same story for an original petrol V8 Land Rover Discovery and ex works diesel vehicle I took on.

In my personal vehicles which only do up to 8000miles in a busy year i use it once in a while. Never had a problem.

I have no hard evidence to say we should all use the stuff but I think putting a drop in every once in a while is only going to be a benefit.

Redex is easily accessible and cheap. Garages often use a different brand which is apparently better at “doing the job” but I haven’t found it at any retailers.
If I remember ill ask our local garage when im next in for a service - which won’t be long! He usually keeps it in stock to help cars get through their MOTs.

Bloo Toon Davie

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Aditives. Always reminds me of my Dad. We'd pull into the petrol station and my Dad would always say "Three shots, three gallons" Yes way back in the days when there'd be a chap filling your car, checking your oil and wiping your windscreen.

Many (many) years later when I got my first car and said to the attendant "three shots three gallons" and he looked at me like I was talking gibberish.

Thanks for your story, but do you use an additive in your Z 3 ?

ZEDonist UK

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster
Yup. I put a bottle through the Z3 when I first got it. I can’t say I noticed any difference. The engine needed vacuums, intake boots, DISA and VANOS doing which was time and money better spent.

My Z3 is a toy so doesn’t do many miles. It runs on Esso premium most of the time (highest octane available) or shell V power if I can’t get the Esso stuff.

i tend to think that if you’re not doing many miles, the engine doesn’t use oil and you run good fuel I wouldn’t worry about using it. Put the few quid into better fuel.

If you’re going to do lots of running around and stop start driving where the engine doesn’t properly warm up then use a bottle every so often.
In reality, I don’t think it really matters but I like to use it.

Bloo Toon Davie

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Hi,I do use the best fuel,but will use Redex every so often,as you say it is cheap And readily available just to keep the inners as clean as possible.

bertiejaffa

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3M
I put Redex in mine probably once every 4-6 weeks, depending on the frequency of use and the type of driving I ve been doing (ie, good blast or round town).

I also carry a bottle of octane additive too, just incase I ever get stuck somewhere with no fuel and only standard fuel available.

petecossie

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3 M Coupe

When I was kid (in late 50s & early 60s) I used to go down to the garage where my Dad was workshop foreman and on Saturdays I used to help out on the forecourt dispensing petrol with customary "3 shots" from the chrome Redex dispenser just before putting the petrol in. Got a bit of pocket money out of it. :thumbsup:
Don't use additives myself although might consider it in the future. It would have to be Redex of course. :whistle:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
I've started getting some Redex when it's half price in Tesco [maybe available in other supermarkets too]. I've used a couple of bottles now but I've not noticed any difference, but it can't do any harm and might be doing some good.