Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passenger door actuator.

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by cmh.128, Apr 8, 2013.

1. cmh.128

cmh.128 Regular Member

Hi all.Hope all well,I wonder if anyone can help me with a central locking problem,I have read a bit of info but want to make sure I am correct before spending my £££s.Drivers door locks with the key and also triggers the boot to lock/open with it.Also with the fob does exactly the same.The passenger door does not respond and needs to be opened manually.When opening passenger door from inside no sound can be heard,also when using key or fob listening to the passenger door I cannot hear it trying,if that makes sense.If I am pointing in the right direction please can you help by advising of part number or point me in the direction of the right part on ebay.Thankyou.

2. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Hi - don't know which model you have but this problem usually generates a lot of debate as to whether it is the actuator or a wiring loom problem.
    See this one for example
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2661.
    If you search the forum you will find similar threads. I would recommend you do some elimination checks before you start spending the ££££'s.

3. Titan

Titan Moderator
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    sDrive35i
    I agree with Jonco on this.
    It's more likely to be a wiring issue than a duff actuator.
    Unless I've got my wires crossed, manual use of the key in the passenger lock should trigger the system whether the actuator is broken or not.
    First port of call would be the flexible conduit in the boot lid.

4. cmh.128

cmh.128 Regular Member

Cheers guys for getting back so quick.I will get out soon and have a look at the loom in the boot and let you know.