Parking brake shoe adjuster

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If you're thinking of having a go at adjusting your parking brake shoes you need to see this through one of the wheel bolt holes.

This is the end you adjust by flicking the toothed wheel round with a flat blade screw driver. IF you go the wrong way it will stop turning and you won't be able to see any thread. Then turn it the opposite direction again until it stops (you will see thread) and the shoes will be adjusted up to the drum. The de-adjust by about 4 "clicks". The "clicks" are produced by the toothed wheel inter acting with the shoe return spring and this is what stops the adjuster moving on it's own.
Old wheels 076.jpg

The other end of the adjuster housing locate on the other brake shoe.
Old wheels 077.jpg

A short video of the adjuster which I recorded with my endoscope tonight.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6lfbLP0W8&feature=youtu.be

Tony.

ps. Still pics taken by endoscope as well.

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Handbrake.......:rolleyes:
Sometimes, not always mate. I tested a GMC Acadia today and you operate the Parking brake on that, like so many cars these days with your foot! How can you call that a handbrake ???;) You apply it when you park, it's a parking brake:)

Tony.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Thanks Tony. Didn't get a chance to sort mine out tonight. We were finishing off picking the breaker clean. Literally all we left on was the windscreen and pedals/servo :) If you're gonna kill a Z3 then get everything off you can :) Removing the loom was interesting!

Will probably do my handbrake Saturday now. A lot less daylight to play with in the evenings now too :(

I got an endoscope last week to play hunt the vacuum leak causing the misfire. But I never used it as I found the fault was the corroded pin on the DME.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks Tony. Didn't get a chance to sort mine out tonight. We were finishing off picking the breaker clean. Literally all we left on was the windscreen and pedals/servo :) If you're gonna kill a Z3 then get everything off you can :) Removing the loom was interesting!

Will probably do my handbrake Saturday now. A lot less daylight to play with in the evenings now too :(

I got an endoscope last week to play hunt the vacuum leak causing the misfire. But I never used it as I found the fault was the corroded pin on the DME.
Happy to hear you found that corroded pin mate, that is good info for members without doubt. I keep finding uses for the "scope" and being able to take pictures or video is just amazing.

Tony.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
like so many cars these days with your foot!
Foot handbrake...... Same as on the Mercs....:pompus:
On my 66 Land Rover the high beam light switch was on the floor and you had to press it with your foot.
Still a light switch though.....;)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Foot handbrake...... Same as on the Mercs....:pompus:
On my 66 Land Rover the high beam light switch was on the floor and you had to press it with your foot.
Still a light switch though.....;)
No, that was a dip switch, you dipstick ;)=))=)) My first Mini had that on the floor too.

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Great use of your new toy Tony, that should help peeps to see what they have to do:thumbsup:

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Great pics as these can be pesky/annoying adjusters if you have not seen them before.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hope so Dave, that was the idea.:thumbsup:

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Great pics as these can be pesky/annoying adjusters if you have not seen them before.
I could do better Brian, I realised I need to mark a "top" line on the camera so that the pictures are the correct way up. But as you said it makes it easier when you know what to look for.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Best leave it until I can do a better video with the picture in the correct orientation. I need to mark the camera to have the picture the right way up and the wheel bolt hole in the correct position. When I can get it sorted it would be ok with me as it's the same for Z3 and Z4 too.

Tony.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
@GazHyde ,@hard top .Can the explanation by @t-tony be added to the Z3 wiki please?
I'll add it to the list of things I need to do, will take a while to get to it as there is a new version of the software on the horizon. Will be replacing the current article system with a new one while I'm at it.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Just finished stripping and checking my mechanism.

The nearside cable didn't move like the offside did when the lever nuts were loosened. It was a right b*gger getting the discs off on that side. Thought it would be the adjuster seized. But soon tracked down to a seized cable where the outer had broken in 2 and let damp in.

Gotta go to Bristol first thing for a cable unless I'm lucky and the BMW dealer in Swindon keeps it as a stock item. £16 ECP. £20 BMW. Guess which I'd prefer... Needs to go back Saturday PM to MOT garage before I go to Swansea.

Have managed to weaken/enlarge 1 Allen spring hole on the splash guard so will have to improvise a repair to that.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I'll add it to the list of things I need to do, will take a while to get to it as there is a new version of the software on the horizon. Will be replacing the current article system with a new one while I'm at it.
Will likely be a while before I get this done again Gaz. Would you be able to "swap" a video afterwards or is it best to wait until I can do a "proper job" ?

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Have managed to weaken/enlarge 1 Allen spring hole on the splash guard so will have to improvise a repair to that.
Best easy fix for that is use a 4mm bolt and ni-loc nut on the back.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Likely a longer while for me Tony ;)
Ok mate,no rush then:). There may be other things getting our attention soon if that storm does a job on Florida..:(

Tony.