paint query

robertjones

my 2001 z has a couple of rust patches on the top of the doors, one on each side, just about 3 inches in on the flat portion of the doors,seems to be under the plastic window strip. (there is no rust anywhere else) Am confused as i have been quoted prices ranging from £300 to £700 , understand that the doors will have to be resprayed ,so will cost but cannot understand how there can be such a variation in price, one garage has put £210 in the quote for paint alone yet another quotes £300 all in, am concerned if i go for the cheaper quote then may get a bad job, or just leave the doors and hope they dont go any worse .Any views or has anyone else had any rust problems in that area?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
How many quotes have you had Robert? Try and get personal recommendations if you can. Do you know anyone in the motor trade?

robertjones

How many quotes have you had Robert? Try and get personal recommendations if you can. Do you know anyone in the motor tradhave hade?
Have had 6 quotes, the deares £700 was B MW in Stoke dont really know anyone , so have to try and look at thepremises to see what kind ofset up they have but dont want to get the carback with a bad paintt job, just soldmy last z as someone had done a bad paint job on that

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with you earlier car Robert. Hope you can find a good body shop.

Tony.

Z

zedonist

Hi a Rob,

The trouble is most body shops main income is insurance work hence the high quotes, they don't really want your work. That leaves the lower quotes, now these fall in to two categories, the fly by nights and the artists. You need to find the Artist out of the cheap quotes.

I have been looking for two years now for a good company to repaint my Z3, I have found the same as you with costs, now it has only recently that I have found the guy for me, and his recommendation came from the guys who do the mechanical work on my T5, and the guy turns out to be a celebrity in the VW repaint world, he is really knowledgeable, actually wants to talk to you and takes the time to examine the car and advise what is actually needed, and then his costs are more reasonable than everybody else's, and his quality is available to see and exceptional. I would suggest you find someone similar in your area, if your close to mine, I will give you details.

robertjones

Hi a Rob,

The trouble is most body shops main income is insurance work hence the high quotes, they don't really want your work. That leaves the lower quotes, now these fall in to two categories, the fly by nights and the artists. You need to find the Artist out of the cheap quotes.

I have been looking for two years now for a good company to repaint my Z3, I have found the same as you with costs, now it has only recently that I have found the guy for me, and his recommendation came from the guys who do the mechanical work on my T5, and the guy turns out to be a celebrity in the VW repaint world, he is really knowledgeable, actually wants to talk to you and takes the time to examine the car and advise what is actually needed, and then his costs are more reasonable than everybody else's, and his quality is available to see and exceptional. I would suggest you find someone similar in your area, if your close to mine, I will give you details.
Yes thats the problem, finding the right person, my worry is that unless I csn find out what has caused the rust problem in the first place ,then I could just be wasting money, I live in Middlewich , Cheshire and actually bought the car from Stafford, as a matter of interest also have a t5

Z

zedonist

And we both have a silver Z3, spooky, my guy is in Cannock, just outside Stafford. If you want to speak to him I can PM details.