owning an M hits the pocket again

Mr-P

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Sold Z3M
Well I am putting coil overs on the M and thought I might have to replace the front suspension top mounts due to the mileage on the car.

Well I was right both had play in them.

So I contacted all the normal contacts and all tried to supply the standard Z3 front top mounts, which if you did not know is the same item for right and left sides of the car. When I pointed out that the M uses a different top mount then a few said I was wrong as there is only one listed for all Z3's. At which point I ended my calls.

I could have gone for billet ali adjustable mounts but in the end decided to go for standard BMW ones which you can only get through BMW and wait for it they are

£ 183.00 for the pair (ouch)

This means I can get the car back on the road tomorrow, and if I decided to go for adjustables when funds allow, I will be able to sell the standard ones and get some of my money back.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
iv a done full suspension refresh on my M and the top mounts came in about 22 each if i remember right from GFS

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I did my suspension this time last year and they were around £50 each but not so long after they almost doubled the prices as there was a lot of chatter over on the coupe forum complaining about it. When you fit them pack a little more grease in them as they seem to come a bit too dry for my liking anyway.

Mr-P

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Sold Z3M

Mr-P

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Sold Z3M
Well picked up my top mounts from BMW this morning all £183 of them. All fitted ok until I came to refitted the front wheels, they touched they springs.
However I had some 10mm spacers there was clearance but not enough for comfort, so I have ordered some 12mm(each side) ones
including longer bolts. So tomorrow the M should be back on the road once I have finalised ride heights and corner weights.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
That's the problem with coil overs as the springs come down lower than the standard setup they foul the wheels so spacers are needed however I thought standard wheels would be ok or do you have different wheels on your I can't remember.

Mr-P

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Sold Z3M
That's the problem with coil overs as the springs come down lower than the standard setup they foul the wheels so spacers are needed however I thought standard wheels would be ok or do you have different wheels on your I can't remember.
I thought the same that's why I hadn't considered the issue with standard wheels. Just knew this morning something else was going to bite me.
Photo0127.jpg Ok this is a rear but no picture of a front

Issue will be resolved tomorrow and next month I will space out the rears as well.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
i would have thought 12mm on the front would make them stick out a touch...i was under the impression that around 3mm was the farthest out you could go with them?

Mr-P

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Sold Z3M
i would have thought 12mm on the front would make them stick out a touch...i was under the impression that around 3mm was the farthest out you could go with them?
Following the lead of M Coupe boys who run 12mm on the front.
3mm would not clear springs on coilovers.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
i run 13mm on the rear and its bang on and looking at the front it doesn't look like it would take 12mm...but it could be just an illusion...or even just the tyres on mine

Mr-P

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Sold Z3M
Well the M is all back together and on the road, the 12mm spacers on the front work a treat.
Corner weights done, so hopefully get some road miles in this week to see how it handles.