Original BMW radios

Medskipper

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3M & Z3 1.9.
I have noticed that the liquid crystal display almost disappears during the winter months!
I can only assume that it is the cold weather as well as age? both my cars are 20 years old.

I have two Z3s and it happens with both cars, but when the weather warms up the display comes back again! Indeed if I run the heater high in the car on a half hour or more run the display does come back to a large extent, not as good as in the summer but enough to determine what station you are listening to!

I was considering replacing my two radios but as I mainly use the cars in the summer months I feel it’s not worth doing because I want to keep them as original as possible.

just thought I would share my experiences!

Olliebeak

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
I had an original radio cassette player in my car but it kept eating tapes and I got weary of all the adverts on various radio stations. I have now installed a Sony radio cd player, it also has other stuff like bluetooth, ipod, usb connection etc none of which I use. The player came as a kit with wiring adaptor and was really easy to install, it even has flashing blue surround lights which move to the beat!!
The only problem is that the sound quality is rubbish, I just have the original speakers, has anyone upgraded their speakers?

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
I had an original radio cassette player in my car but it kept eating tapes and I got weary of all the adverts on various radio stations. I have now installed a Sony radio cd player, it also has other stuff like bluetooth, ipod, usb connection etc none of which I use. The player came as a kit with wiring adaptor and was really easy to install, it even has flashing blue surround lights which move to the beat!!
The only problem is that the sound quality is rubbish, I just have the original speakers, has anyone upgraded their speakers?
Hi, yes upgraded the speakers and entire audio system - Post 125 - https://zroadster.org/threads/jims-z3-journey.19286/page-7

I’ve got a genuine BMW Z3 CD Player for sale - https://zroadster.org/threads/genuine-bmw-business-cd-player.31451/

JWilliamsZ3

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Wouldn't bother with a DAB radio due to the ariel etc, I bought a new radio in the summer, simply hooked up the iphone via Bluetooth and streamed the radio off the internet so way more stations than DAB as well. Much better and cheaper! I paid £80 for a decent pioneer one, with USB/CD/Bluetooth etc and a high wattage output so used the existing radio arial and fitted in minutes

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
All 4 speakers, sub and amp done in mine, sounds bloody amazing

SYMZ3

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8i widebody
The original owner specified the Harmon & Kardon upgrade in place of A/C. I was not sure if this was worthwhile, but wow, what a sound!
Deffo worth it!