Oil level warnibg light

bob.c

Zorg Addict
Hi Anyone had a problem where the oil level warning light comes on as the engine is first turned on for about 5 seconds and then goes off. I suspect it is the sensor as the oil level is spot on. If so anyone know where the oil level sensor is. My Z3M is 1998

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
It's not unusual for an oil pressure light to be sluggish while the pump gets the pressure up enough to extinguish it, but the level light...
My level light comes on after I switch off after a long run but the level is more than sufficient. This is a fairly common phenomenon. M54 engines and their kin are known for oil consumption, but not the S54 if my son's Z4M is any guide. Even after hard driving on track.

bob.c

Zorg Addict
My oil level light always came on with the ignition,but went off after the engine started. It now occasionally continues to flash on and off for a few seconds after the engine has started

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
Are you sure the Z3M has an oil level light? Which light are you looking at? I'm pretty sure my Z3 M (1999) does not have an oil level light....?

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
Are you sure the Z3M has an oil level light? Which light are you looking at? I'm pretty sure my Z3 M (1999) does not have an oil level light....?
The M is the only Z with an oil level warning light.

Something to be aware of...
It is easily damaged during an oil change. Do not turn on the ignition with no oil in the engine. You will burn out the sensor, and the light will be permanently on.

RAYBOY

Dedicated Member
Had the same issue with mine
Light came on at start up then went out.
Replaced oil sensor
All tickety boo now

bob.c

Zorg Addict
Thanks for the advice .think I will change the sensor and keep my fingers crossed as its due and oil change soon

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
The M is the only Z with an oil level warning light.

Something to be aware of...
It is easily damaged during an oil change. Do not turn on the ignition with no oil in the engine. You will burn out the sensor, and the light will be permanently on.
Really! My 2.2i M54 from 2002 has one!

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0
I'm going to have to check if mine does or doesn't..:whistle:. But check the condition of items 5, when you do you oil change, these little suckers are often overlooked..Deliberately on accasion I would say, Mine were cactus despite a well documented service history...:thumbsup:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Pingu

Zorg Guru (III)
3rd Party Trader
I'm going to have to check if mine does or doesn't..:whistle:. But check the condition of items 5, when you do you oil change, these little suckers are often overlooked..Deliberately on accasion I would say, Mine were cactus despite a well documented service history...:thumbsup:
View attachment 298797
Yes. Item 4 rarely deteriorates, yet is included with the filter. Item 5 has to be seperately ordered and isn't even part of an Oil Service by BMW.

Check your invoice, if you don't believe me.

mikeyH

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 Z4 E85
The oil level light and beeper kept coming on when I stopped the car. I would check it and it was always within the correct place on the dipstick. I assume it's just not very accurate. I just make sure it's nearer to the upper mark than the middle and all is well. :thumbsup: Mine it the 2.2 M54 engine.