obd2 location

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
obd2 location. I just bought a 1996 z3 that has a check engine light on. I can't find the obd2 port. Can anyone tell me its location? Thanks, FRANKIE

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Hi FRANKIE,

Such an early z3 will not have an OBDII port, you will only find a OBD port under the bonnet.

HTH

Brian

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Which device are you trying to connect? Does it only have the rectangular connector, as some are supplied with the round connector for the socket in the engine bay.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Z3's only came fitted with OBD2 sockets in late '98 where it was placed just underneath the stearing wheel. All the Z3's prior to this were fitted with a round OBD socket under the bonnet which has a screw off protective cap on it. Most diagnostic tools can still read from this soxket but an adapter will be required to connect to it. There are however better scanners than others as some are specifically suited to BMW cars and can read certain things other more generic scanners
Can't do. The best scanners are PC based like Carsoft and INPA which if you do a search there is plenty of info on here.

JerryDavis

Hi Frankie, whereabouts are you?

I have a scanner and cable to connect to the round 20 pin OBD socket

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Z3's only came fitted with OBD2 sockets in late '98 where it was placed just underneath the stearing wheel. All the Z3's prior to this were fitted with a round OBD socket under the bonnet which has a screw off protective cap on it. Most diagnostic tools can still read from this soxket but an adapter will be required to connect to it. There are however better scanners than others as some are specifically suited to BMW cars and can read certain things other more generic scanners
Can't do. The best scanners are PC based like Carsoft and INPA which if you do a search there is plenty of info on here.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Hi FRANKIE,

Such an early z3 will not have an OBDII port, you will only find a OBD port under the bonnet.

HTH

Brian
Thanks for the reply, Brian. I have an OBD2 scanner. Other replies have told me that my car only connects with a round connection under the hood. They specified particular types of scanners that I'll have to lool for. Frankie

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Thanks for the reply, Brian. I have an OBD2 scanner. Other replies have told me that my car only connects with a round connection under the hood. They specified particular types of scanners that I'll have to lool for. Frankie
@FRANKIE, yes you can only use the round OBD port under the bonnet, I use BM Technic software on my laptop with a choice of either a usb - OBD (round style connector) or OBDII connector. Other member have scanning reset tools hopefully they will be along to advise.