OBD 2 reader

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Always one of the first steps when diagnosing faults.

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
I just use a bluetooth obd reader with the 20 pin conversion cable and Torque android app its all you really need as it will read fault codes and give you live data in the car when you driving,, its real good and well worth it.. cost about £15 for the obd adaptor and the cable

Al.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I just use a bluetooth obd reader with the 20 pin conversion cable and Torque android app its all you really need as it will read fault codes and give you live data in the car when you driving,, its real good and well worth it.. cost about £15 for the obd adaptor and the cable

Al.
Sounds to technical to me pal

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
its really easy if you can use a mobile phone you can use the torque app download the app and have a look at what it can do.. you be amazed... you can reset the fault codes, run live data monitor sensors to see what they are doing..

21200872_353840258385727_7698799074940566206_o by handsomejackuk, on Flickr

21200872_353840258385727_7698799074940566206_o by handsomejackuk, on Flickr

21558953_358177424618677_6608485237815440445_n by handsomejackuk, on Flickr
Thanks for the links, I may well give it a go

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
None of those readers work on either of my pre facelift 2.8 Zeds. @Lee tried his Bluetooth reader on my 2.8 auto to try to reset my ABS light on the Euro tour a couple of years back but it would not connect to my car. I also bought one of the scanners from Ebay along with the adapter but again, total waste of money for my car but @Phil T successfully used it on his 3.0 facelift when he was holidaying in Cornwall and came to my house recently.

I do have INPA that I use with an old laptop.

Here is a link that describes what you need to do.

https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/bmw-inpa-diagnostics-idiots-guide-getting-started-t85220/

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
agree for the more complicated stuff like air bags and abs you need inpa and bmw specific stuff you need inpa.. but for basic fault finding resetting fault codes and diagnosing engine sensors an obd reader or torque and bluetooth is more than enough..

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
agree for the more complicated stuff like air bags and abs you need inpa and bmw specific stuff you need inpa.. but for basic fault finding resetting fault codes and diagnosing engine sensors an obd reader or torque and bluetooth is more than enough..
Will it work for prefacelift though

Clockwatcher

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
@Sean d,

I use INPA, NCS Expert, Gini and Rheingold (ISTA D) on both my BMWs.

Using the software packages there are very few things I cannot do. The only limitation I have is I cannot reprogram units with updated software as I have not invested in the programming hardware. However, I can reset fault codes, run diagnostics and change hidden settings. Rheingold also has the latest version of what was called TIS so I can remove, replace and service items on the cars with its inbuilt service manual. It also includes wiring diagrams.

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Will it work for prefacelift though

works fine on my 1.9 m44 but you need the 20 pin convertor cable i listed earlier but you will need that cable even if you get a normal coder reader

I not tried it on my 2.8 yet as its not on the road yet in hindsight i should really get it hooked up and see if all is well with the 2.8. maybe i will in a few days time... the fella i had the car off gave me another 20 pin convertor cable and an inpa style adaptor

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
works fine on my 1.9 m44 but you need the 20 pin convertor cable i listed earlier but you will need that cable even if you get a normal coder reader......
Thanks for info I have just ordered Blue tooth scanner.
I already have converter cable, INPA on laptop and have used OBD doctor basic via ELM to MacBook but this looks less cumbersome. Where have you mounted unit? There was a long discussion on a thread a few years ago now and I recall one of the problems was with the unit working loose during driving.

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
My Bluetooth unit is just cable tied loosely in the area where the master cylinder is...I get great Bluetooth signal to my mobile phone from there the only modification you will have to make is either take the top off the 20 pin adaptor cable or move the 20 pin adaptor socket a bit lower down to enable the bonnet to close...

Mario

Zorg Legend
If you don't want to fiddle with laptops or bluetooth and phones etc - there is a standalone scanner with a small screen that I have that works well and I have tested on many models, I will send you the link but I am away at the moment please PM me.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Sean the one I bought on eBay for 30 quid has worked on both zeds diag reset abs and airbag obviously can't do really advanced stuff but been useful to me at work just now find a link later