Nose lifts at 140mph!!!!

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Spotted a Z3 in the Cathedral car park in Ely, asked the driver if he was going to Zfest (as we need 450 more zeds!) only to find that he was not a forum member or an enthusiast at all, in fact the exact opposite. :( He was not in the least pleased with the car, despite having owned it for several years. He compared it with his son's Porshe Boxter, saying that the Boxer would hold the road, cornering at least 25mph faster than the Z3, mentioning that the back of the Zed swung out when cornered hard. However his most scathing comment was that the nose of the Zed lifted when travelling at 140mph, do you think that is why they put splitters on ///Ms. He didn't divulge which road he was on at the time, :coolsteer) possibly an autobahn, but probably not the M25. :))
I believe that a Zed, well driven, could stick with a Boxter on the wild roads of Norfolk at any time, although I think that the Boxter would out accelerate a Zed on a long, straight road, not sure how the ///Ms would compare, Liam, Mark & Paul????

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
The only boxter that could out sprint our 3.0 is the S. I do have to agree one thing and that the car does become very light to stear at around 140/150 and yes i do know :coolsteer) Whether this is down to the car lifting or just down to shear speed i dont know, but i do know that most rear wheel fast cars i have driven become lighter on the front end the faster you go, i just put it down to the fact the rear end is being pushed down.
bill

B

badman gee

The m would out sprint any boxer, but would not be as quick on the bends.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
badman gee said:
The m would out sprint any boxer, but would not be as quick on the bends.
We don't know about Boxters, but the back end of early Porshes would break away without warning at relatively low speed, if driven with any enthusiasm round corners, this was due in the main part by the weight of the engine being behind the rear wheels. :-ss

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
What the hell, Can't take it with you when you go. Might as well enjoy it while you can. :D

B

badman gee

EnthuZiaZT said:
What the hell, Can't take it with you when you go. Might as well enjoy it while you can. :D
True true.

Live for today.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
A good friend of mine had a boxer s for 6 years and I drove it..
It's not fast in a straight line, I had a Nissan 200sx at the time and that was quicker..
boxers are awesome in the bends and would out pace a standard M on twisty b-roads for sure.
The boxers feel totally planted on the road and a very solid drive inspiring confidents..

B

badman gee

z3cade said:
It's not fast in a straight line, I had a Nissan 200sx at the time and that was quicker..
boxers are awesome in the bends and would out pace a standard M on twisty b-roads for sure.
The boxers feel totally planted on the road and a very solid drive inspiring confidents..
Still would take the m over a boxer anyday.

Now the 911 turbo, now we're talking. It has everything.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
badman gee said:
z3cade said:
Still would take the m over a boxer anyday.

Now the 911 turbo, now we're talking. It has everything.
I too would take an M over the boxer hence why I have one..
I personally don't like the look of the boxer

spurs fan in a coupe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
True but I love the look of the Cayman S!

White with black wheels!

- maybe next car, or a Jag XKR, or an exige or a Z4M Coupe, oh the decisions! Although at this rate it will be a diesel 106, bloody fuel bill! (and hitting deer bill!)

r37

Dedicated Member
The boxter is faster off the line than the 2.8 but slower whilst on the move 30-50, 50-70 ect. agree the boxter is more planted round the bends and that the front of the zed lifts at 120+ (private road ofcourse). I looked at a boxter before buying the Z but i didnt really like the looks and they seem very common round here. I see 1-2 a day in the towns and have yet to see more than 1-2 Z a week, really put me off.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I found my M to be solid at 155mph with no lifting at all from the front. Had plenty of spirited acceleration away from Boxter S's and they can't keep up on pace. I push harder on track than I would on a road as its the right environment.

Had an interesting one with a 911 once, I don't know which one it was (not good with Porsches) but it had the quad exhausts which are moulded together to form a twin exhaust (if that makes any sense at all), from 35/40mph the M matched it to 70 and then was gaining ever so slightly up to 140, maybe he missed a gear but there was nothing in it at all until I started gaining.

It's funny sometimes when you get newer cars roll up near you, they often haven't a clue how quick the M is.

B

badman gee

board said:
I found my M to be solid at 155mph with no lifting at all from the front. Had plenty of spirited acceleration away from Boxter S's and they can't keep up on pace. I push harder on track than I would on a road as its the right environment.

Had an interesting one with a 911 once, I don't know which one it was (not good with Porsches) but it had the quad exhausts which are moulded together to form a twin exhaust (if that makes any sense at all), from 35/40mph the M matched it to 70 and then was gaining ever so slightly up to 140, maybe he missed a gear but there was nothing in it at all until I started gaining.

It's funny sometimes when you get newer cars roll up near you, they often haven't a clue how quick the M is.
Possibly not the twin turbo 911 then :)

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
No :D think I did have an encounter with one of those but it wasn't safe to find out what the match was like

B

badman gee

board said:
No :D think I did have an encounter with one of those but it wasn't safe to find out what the match was like
The m still looks better mate.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
By the way I took the avatar pic while going down the runway at bruntingthorpe and wouldn't have had one hand on the wheel at 140 if it wasn't stable :)

It's actually a video, I'll have to dig it out if I can find it, if anyone is interested.

Save the speed for the track where if it goes wrong you don't end up in a mess with someone else. Seen first hand the results of a head on.

G2JRP

Model of Z
S50 M Roadster
I have the m and my wife has a boxster s, it is not as quick as the m and I know which one I drive given the choice and it is not the boxster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD