Event North Pennines Tour - August Bank Holiday weekend

Are you interested in a tour around the North Pennines?

• No thanks (other reasons)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
I have fancied sharing the delights of "my backyard roads" for a while and am looking to run a tour around this area one day over the bank holiday weekend. I am still working on the detail of the route, however, to give an idea of where we would be going here is a summary:
  1. Start Bowburn Roadchef Service area (just off A1 south of Durham);
  2. Wear Valley to Stanhope;
  3. Moors road to Middleton:
  4. Tees Valley to Alston:
  5. Brampton via Hartside Pass:
  6. Moors roads south of Hexham:
  7. Finish Bowburn Roadchef Service area.
I am thinking of heading out around 10am. Route will be around 150 miles and according to Google 5 hours!! With a couple of stops we would be back late afternoon. There is a Days Inn motel on the service area and plenty of other accommodation around. The spirit of the tour is "a group of like minded individuals with common interest enjoying drive around the area", it is not a race or a time trial.
I appreciate that many member will not be familiar with the location so here are a couple of maps to help.

This is the general area, about 100 miles south of Edinburgh, 200 miles north of Birmingham and 300 from London.

Area map.JPG

This is a general indication of the route. We will be on made up road throughout, ignore the excursions across the moorland which is due to my lack of skill drawing with the software!

outline route.JPG

FAQ:

1. I have heard it can be cold up there. Do I need to bring my team Sledge and of Huskies? No, it's still summer. Just bring the Zed and as many horses as you can harness.
2. Do I need a passport to visit? No, just be careful not to pick up too many northern phrases or you may need a passport to get into your home county.
3. Have you got electricity? Yes, well; most places have.
4. Are there any sheep? Plenty, especially on the moor roads and they have attitude, being happy to face down a BMW at 30 paces. Avoid driving into one - your car will be a write off.

To allow me to gauge interest in the tour and preferred date please vote for each relevant option in the poll.

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
I have posted on the NE Z3 Facebook page and in Events on the forum, with very few responses. In case you missed it, I am calling in a few members to see if we get a tour organised. I would appreciate feedback via the poll to understand if it is location or timing that has resulted in a very limited response so far. Any questions fire away, Thanks for your time.

Calling in the locals:
@JeffC
@Reiver
@Bigbadcol
@MSG RED Z3
@Lilybet74
@Mac_Gaz
@SilverZed
@Kevin Doyle
@Graeme
@Dazbaby @
@Walrus
@JackJabba
@Dave Goliath
@petecossie
@Wiz
@John Hocking
@Davyhoogy (already coming, if he puts his car back together!!)

and some a little further afield:
@leach62
@Deepdiver53
@Andy McDonnell
@aspron
@SeaSurfer
@Andiwright
@Nigel Dewhurst

and some more who may be interested:
@Mnbrennan
@BMBabe
@Jjim
@Little Lady Katie
@mwpe
@Paul Rice

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I think it's a great idea and one I'm interested in. I think the only potential issue is the notice given. This sort of cruise (which is Bob on) needs a few months, if not more notice as their's shed loads going on :thumbsup:

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Would of been very interested as my old neck of the woods. Has Hartside Cafe reopened yet. Shame but alas i will be going on a Euro trip 1st Sept and will be busy prepping that weekend

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Would love to have come up for this, but unfortunately I am already visiting family in Plymouth over the bank holiday weekend. :(

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Wow, just looking at some of the names you've tagged and some haven't been on here for over 5 years!

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
I think it's a great idea and one I'm interested in. I think the only potential issue is the notice given. This sort of cruise (which is Bob on) needs a few months, if not more notice as their's shed loads going on :thumbsup:
Thanks for the feedback Andy, just what I was looking for. Could I ask you to cast your votes (3 allowed) in the Poll at the top of the thread to clarify your availability and interest. Armed with a few facts I can look at re-running the tour next year (giving plenty of notice) if there is enough interest. Thanks again.

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
I'd love too but I'll be in Berlin on a stag do!
Your old backyard as well, so I thought you may be up for it. Enjoy the Stag Do :drinks: (is it yours by any chance????:):):)).
Could I ask you to cast your vote using box 4 in the Poll, which will help keep all the information together. Hope you will be able to join in next time, assuming there is sufficient interest shown.

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Would of been very interested as my old neck of the woods. Has Hartside Cafe reopened yet. Shame but alas i will be going on a Euro trip 1st Sept and will be busy prepping that weekend
Didn't realise you were from up this way. Hartside café is being rebuilt and as far as I know it will be later in the year before it opens. Hope you have a great time on the Euro trip, and it would be good if you could join us sometime. Could I ask you to pop a tick in box 4 of the poll please.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Surprised you missed the Mints off your list Robert:(. Unfortunately we are already on a trip for the Bank Holiday but would defiinately be interested in a trip another time. As Andy says it's a bit short notice especially as some would have to organise hotels and being Bank Holiday they will be in short supply. I have ticked box 4. Great idea though:thumbsup:

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Didn't realise you were from up this way. Hartside café is being rebuilt and as far as I know it will be later in the year before it opens. Hope you have a great time on the Euro trip, and it would be good if you could join us sometime. Could I ask you to pop a tick in box 4 of the poll please.
Already did it. Yeh originate from Bishop Aukland

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Would love to have come up for this, but unfortunately I am already visiting family in Plymouth over the bank holiday weekend. :(
Never mind James, we will look forward to welcoming you and Alicia at some future date.

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Surprised you missed the Mints off your list Robert:(. Unfortunately we are already on a trip for the Bank Holiday but would defiinately be interested in a trip another time. As Andy says it's a bit short notice especially as some would have to organise hotels and being Bank Holiday they will be in short supply. I have ticked box 4. Great idea though:thumbsup:
:arghh::arghh::oops::oops: Apologies to the Mints, truly amiss of me. It would be great to tour with you again at some other time.

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Already did it. Yeh originate from Bishop Aukland
Apologies, not run a Poll before so was wondering why there were no votes showing. Found the button now.
You will be familiar with the roads and know how good they are, so weill look forward to welcoming you "home" next time.

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Wow, just looking at some of the names you've tagged and some haven't been on here for over 5 years!
Picked them up from the Members map and yes there are some names on there who are not regulars. I am hoping that with prompting they may come out of hibernation. Are you able to join us, for this tour or at a future date?

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I can't do the dates you've put forward unfortunately. Not doing much at all this year, moving my son out, were moving house this week and I've been ill and have all taken a lot of time up.
Certainly one for next year though. I've added my vote in.