Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TomTom Sat Nav

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by TaffZee, Aug 29, 2012.

1. TaffZee

TaffZee Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 SE
    After years of trouble free service my old Go 710 gave up the ghost in Spain :( Tried to get it fixed but beyond help :( :( So with £150 in my pocket off to halfords I went, after much deliberation, and speaking to one of the sat nav geeks :-\ , I came away with the New Go Live 820, Brilliant bit of kit but alas it dont do itinary planning :(

I used this feature countless times on my old unit, the other thing with it you cant get at the files in the unit, it does not show as a storage device when connected to your computer :( :( , It also does not recognise Tyre :( :( :(

Halfords do not allow you to return sat navs unless faulty or un-opened :(( A call to the TomTom support team has re assured me slightly, after realising that itinary planning, and being able to easily copy files direct to the unit is a major feature of the tomtom, they are currently working on a fix for all the 800 series sat navs. Not sure when this will happen but it should be within a few months :ymdaydream:

But at least they are doing something about it..Watch this space as I will keep giving them :-@ until the issues are resolved X(

2. billz

billz Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0si
    Shame that jim. My satnav kept packing up when we was abroad (kept locking up) and now i cant get live services so i am thinking of getting a new one, glad you mentioned about itn files as i was looking at the 800 series, will have to have a rethink now.
    bill

3. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    I went from TomTom to Garmin, and initially was really pleased with it. However, I've used it every day for the last 7 weeks and it's starting to pee me off a little. Mine keeps rebooting for no particular reason. It has a wicked habit of doing just at a critical point in the journey, or if I make a diversion off the route.

My mate also went from TomTom to Garmin, and could only last 4 weeks using it before he eBay'd it and bought a TomTom unit again.

Should have stuck with what we both had before...

4. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

I use a map, and like rally drivers copilots, take notes......works every time............. :ymsmug:

5. TaffZee

TaffZee Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 SE
    After again talking to Tomtom support, I returned the unit to Halfords who in all fairness were very good and returned my money, of to Currys (as Halfords did not have anything in that I wanted) and bought a XXL Classic, this has all the functions I need, but alas a problem, trying to access the files on the tomtom threw up error messages and would not allow me to save itn files to the unit :( so another call to customer support on the way :-@

6. billz

billz Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0si
    Your not having much look Jim :(
    bill

7. reddyzeddygo

reddyzeddygo Zorg Guru (II)
    East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 1.9i
    Yep, I'm with you on this one Hardtop - map, compass and the stars at night ;) But, the wife is getting more and more keen that we should get a SatNav............ :-s

8. EnthuZiaZT

EnthuZiaZT Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z4 28i Msport
    The problem is without a Satnav you have a job homing in on a postcode, which seems to be the first & only information you are often given nowadays! :coolsteer)

We have had a Navman for several years and have never had a problem with it. We are now considering getting a newer version rather than updating the old one, merely because it is not that much more to do so, rather than paying for the update! $-)

Navman are good, not at all complicated, we would thoroughly recommend them. :-bd

Mike & Sandy

9. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive