New-ish car, older Guy

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Hello to you all,

After many years of wanting a BMW I took the plunge 2 months ago and bought an Arctic Silver 1999, 2.8 Z3. It had only done 700 miles in the last couple of years, and 73K in total. The previous owners lived in a farming valley and the body has a few rust scabs on the rear quarters to be sorted, plus the drivers door to be replaced (not as bad as it sounds). On the plus side came with a hard top, has M sport interior pack and a good selection of factory options.

I have only done one trip over the Pennines and around the Lakes for a couple of days and was well please with the drive. A few local trips and it is now tucked up in the garage for winter (yes we had a sprinkling of snow last night).

I am expecting to be using the forum quite a bit to gain from your knowledge and experience, so stand by for some silly questions.

Will post some pictures when I work out how.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Welcome @roadvoyager1 :welcome:,

Rust isn't so bad when you get it on a Z3 as all the body panels remove easily enough. Had a similar experience myself with my 1st Z3.

If you look next to the "Post Reply" button, there is an "Upload a File" button. It's relatively straight forward once you click that. Let me know if you have any questions though ;)

Gary

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Welcome to the forum:welcome:
Great colour

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Welcome, whereabouts are you from your description above can I take a guess that you are in Yorkshire ?

Montyzzz

Model of Z
2.2 Individual
Welcome to the forum. like you, an older guy with my first BMW. Took mine out for a little run this morning as the sun was out. Enjoy your new car! :drinks:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
:welcome: from a fellow older guy too. Enjoy your Zed...

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Very good choice! For this milleage , engine and color plus the hard top looks like a very mature selection. :)
Congratulations and enjoy it for a long time!:welcome:

Z

zedonist

Welcome :welcome: you have chosen the rarest of colours like mine Artic Silver, so you are part of an exclusive club, and we love questions.........

Gizmozed

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
Model of Z
Sdrive 23i BMW Z4 2.5 Highline
Same car, colour and year as mine and we even share the same birthday - great minds think alike.

From one newbie to another, welcome.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Welcome to the club from another older guy with a z3 from the other side of the pond. They keep me over here to balance things out. (Different point of view sometimes). Glad to have you with us. Frankie

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
Thanks for the warm welcome from you all. I have added a couple pictures also.

As you say Gary the bolt on panels are a real bonus on the Z3. If anybody has tips for striping and refitting a door I would be interested. I have a full door to replace my rusty drivers side door but it need a colour change. I know about making sure the water sheader (plastic liner) is in place but have not found out yet how to remove and refit the rubber window seal (top of the door). Any tips would be appreciated.

Dave (Gizmozed) another coincidence maybe, I think you have rear wheel arch protectors fitted and I have been thinking this would be a great addition to protect those rear flares from stone chips (that's the reason I have scabs on my rear quarters) - can you tell me where you got them from please?

Aceman was close in thinking I am based in Yorkshire. Head about 30 miles further north and I am just in Northumberland on the border with Durham, so plenty of good roads to drive and not too much traffic.

P1320008.JPG
P1320017.JPG

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
And you have also the Z-star wheels! Great, I love these wheels.....:)

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
For a split second I thought you had tartan seats lol
nice colour interior

billy

Model of Z
e36 2.8 manual
love the look, its a goodun. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that salt and snow is not appealing prospect I took 2 days to clean the garage out to wait until April :cool:

B

bonzo

I have scabs on my rear quarters quote]
Roadvoyager, You need to see a doctor mate! And no, I can't tell you where you got them

Last edited by a moderator:

Don N

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3 - 2.8
Welcome! What a gorgeous car! And that interior - wow. I hope you enjoy it and some spirited motoring.

'97, 80,000 miles 2.8 - Dark Green / Tan

roadvoyager1

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8ltr
I have scabs on my rear quarters quote]
Roadvoyager, You need to see a doctor mate! And no, I can't tell you where you got them
OK I should have seen that one coming! Good news is that Dr Dent will be working on scab removal in April hopefully and after that my rear quarters will be a sight to behold. Go on Bonzo have a feast with that !!