Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New BMW Recall (April 2014)

Discussion in 'Site Announcements and Feedback' started by Z4Pete, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Z4Pete

Z4Pete Newbie
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    E89 Z4 sDrive30i
    Hi all, I see from an article in the Saturday Telegraph of 12/4/14 that BMW has issued a worldwide recall for 489,000 cars over a potentially faulty engine bolt in certain 6-cylinder petrol engines. BMW said in rare cases bolts holding the cover on the variable camshaft timing system could break and lead to complete engine failure. As I have a BMW Z4 with this kind of engine, I checked with my dealer but all they can tell you is whether their computer shows if your car is subject to any recalls. I then called BMW customer services who were no more help initially. When I pressed them harder, they called me back 24 hours later with more news. I got the impression that BMW UK haven’t quite got into action concerning this recall yet as they advised that letters will be going out to owners of potentially affected cars ‘in the coming weeks’. I pressed them for more details and they advised me of the following: Less than 3,000 cars in the UK (out of 500k) are involved. It concerns N51 and N52 6-cyl petrol engines and the N55 petrol turbo 6-cyls. It affects most models: E6, E7, E8, E9, SO. F1, F2, F3 in the following series: 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, X1, X3, X5, Z4. The advice given to me was that you should contact your dealer without delay if you experience a loss of power or if a dash warning lamp displays an engine fault. BMW confirmed to me that the screws for the housing of the adjustment unit of the variable camshaft timing (Vanos) for the intake and exhaust camshafts could potentially become loose or break. An engine warning lamp ‘should ’ appear in such circumstances. I hope none of our members will be affected (including myself)!

• Like Like x 1
  2. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

Glad that my M44 16 valve 1.9 injection has not got Vanos.
    A chap at work has had big expensive problems with his car.

M44 Massive = impressive (I have heard them say) ha ha......

3. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Most manufacturers seem to be pretty slow with recalls, so you having to drag the information out of them seems pretty much par for the course sadly.

Hopefully more information will come to light once they get on top of exactly which cars are affected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Titan

Titan Moderator
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    sDrive35i
    Thanks for the advance warning Pete :nailbiting:
    As far as I can tell, the only Z4s that will be affected all have the N52 engine.
    These are:
    E85 models (2006-2008)
    • 2.5i / 2.5si
    • 3.0i / 3.0si
    E89 models (2009 onwards)
    • sDrive23i
    • sDrive30i
    If anyone knows more, please let us know!

#4 Titan, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Z4Pete

Z4Pete Newbie
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    E89 Z4 sDrive30i
    Yes, mine is a Z4 E89 (2010) sDrive30i so fingers crossed that loose bolts won't start flying around in the engine when I'm giving it some wellie.

6. Titan

Titan Moderator
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    sDrive35i
    Apologies - I meant to say hope all goes well for you Pete ;)
    Perhaps you can let us all know what/if/when BMW get in touch

7. zedonist

zedonist Guest

HT I have had the same comment from our local BMW dealer, they are lobbying the factory to bring the M44 back out of retirement........

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. kmc23w

kmc23w Slightly Dog-eared
    Supporter British Zeds The West Country

Model of Z:
    None, but a fast BMW bike instead!

Nah Briggs & Stratton would be seriously fed up......;)

Might see the M54 come out of retirement maybe.....sorry to hear about your potential issue Pete....hope it isn't a nikasil nightmare for you guys