Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearside crash sensor needed please

Discussion in 'New to zroadster.org?' started by Si Mcinerney, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Si Mcinerney

Si Mcinerney Regular Member
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Spare Part Wanted UK

Hi there, my 99 plate 2.8 has failed it’s MOT with an airbag light traced back to crash sensor under passenger seat which has failed. Does anyone know where I can source a replacement please?

2. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (II)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Sean d

Sean d Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GZed

GZed Dedicated Member
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Prefacelift (wide arse, sorry arch)
    I’m sure others will pitch in, but isn't this the notorious passenger occupancy sensor, designed to NOT fire the passenger airbag if no one is sitting in the passenger seat? Back in the 90s airbags were v v expensive so the idea was not to waste money unnecessarily. This sensor can be easily bypassed with a gizmo which means a)the airbag will always deploy in a crash regardless of whether or not anyone is sitting on the seat b) the fault light disappears so you get your MOT. BEWARE apparently there are some cheapo gizmos out there that just switch off the light, but the airbag remains disabled.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Si Mcinerney

Si Mcinerney Regular Member
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Thank you. I’ll search for a suitable gizmo

6. mrscalex

mrscalex Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

From what's been written 2 things are being mentioned here.

There are accelerometer devices fitted under the seats that watch out for unexpected forces on the car, eg side impacts. They are monitored by the SRS module which will make a decision based on the level of measurement whether to deploy the airbags. Have you been hit or are you going round a corner? I think this is @Si Mcinerney 's issue.

The device you are referring to is a mat inside the passenger seat. It detects whether a passenger is present - so an occupancy sensor. If a passenger isn't present then the airbag is not deployed that side. It's a safety feature. It can become faulty and the job of replacing it is a bit involved requiring stripping the seat down. So there's a £10 ish plug in device that connects to the harness instead to keep the SRS module happy. It's a frig. I don't know whether it sends a present or not present signal. But I would imagine for safety sake it sends a present signal. Either way the dash warning light doesn't come on. But the airbag would always fire if it sends a present signal defeating the original safety design.

• Like Like x 1