My Zed Journey (Z3 3.0, Z4 3.0, Z4M)

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
It would seem I have caught the Modding bug. I've never really felt the urge to Modify cars but I really want to make my zed "mine" if you know what I mean. Here are some before and after pics.

Before:

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_DSC00372.jpg

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_DSC00374.jpg

Then I fitted this lot,

Interior:
JVC multi media head unit
Alpine speakers

Exterior:
Silver side grills

Performance:
Remap - 248 BHP 325 Torques
Eibach pro 30mm lowering springs
Bilstein B8 Shocks
Redstuff pads
Grooved and drilled discs
RBF600 brake fluid

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3344.jpg

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3340.jpg

Then some subtle chrome on the front under the number plate:

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3402.jpg

Then some more chrome on the back (not sure about this yet):

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3395.jpg

Then the strut brace:

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3393.jpg

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
looks good B-)

now you've let your self in for years of searching for hens teeth :))

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
I have just fitted the chrome rear third light onto ours, think they look ok. Now all you need are chrome roll hoops for the summer :coolsteer)
bill

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Lovely looking car once you start the mods you just can't stop !!!

Si-forks on tapatalk

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Great looking car but your strut brace isn't adjusted properly! ;)

I had the same one on my 2.8 and the centre adjustment needs a bit of tweeking. If you undo both big bolts on the strut mounts then slaken off the centre locking nusts adjust the central adjuster screw until the brace just starts to push on the turrets then adjust so the strut doesn't have a bow in it as it has now seen in your photo then lock everything off. It takes a bit of fiddling but ensures when there are any stresses exerted on the brace they will be transmitted across the brace rather than flexing and kinking it.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
looking at your rear lights I would guess that yours is a facelift model as my reversing lights are in a different place. (I think) anyway I do so love the Blue top. I have a nasty feeling I just may have to change my canvas for Blue. I wonder if they can match Montreal Blue? :-?? and I just may have to go for Chrome side vents!

Oh and Aceman thanks for the tip it is not something I knew so when I get mine I shall know how to fit it.

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
Not seen those chrome bits around the rear light clusters before :-bd
:baa

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Great looking car but your strut brace isn't adjusted properly!
I must admit, I did it in a bit of a hurry yesterday. I went out to the car this morning, the tensioner just needed to be slackened off half a turn. All is well now.

If you undo both big bolts on the strut mounts then slaken off the centre locking nusts adjust the central adjuster screw until the brace just starts to push on the turrets
I'm not sure you want the brace pushing on the turrets, if I've got my lateral force calcs right it should be the opposite. If you are going around a right hand bend, the left hand strut will tend to try and push the left hand top mount outwards. I would have thought the tension (obviously not as much as I initialy put on) should be to try and keep the top mounts together?

Not seen those chrome bits around the rear light clusters before
I can honestly say it was my idea. It probably has already been done but to be honest, I'm still not sure if I like it.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
peteslag said:
Not seen those chrome bits around the rear light clusters before
I can honestly say it was my idea. It probably has already been done but to be honest, I'm still not sure if I like it.
+ 1 :ymblushing:

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I walked past the car today and decided I needed to change the rear lights by reducing the amount of chrome. Now, this is going to be ying to some peoples yang but I really like it:

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3403.jpg

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3405.jpg

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I'll paint my Z3 silver if you paint yours martian green :ymalien:

After all that research and posting about strut braces I've had to take it of, my current insurer won't cover it. They are perfectly happy for me to modify the suspension and brakes but putting a piece of metal between the strut mounts completely changes the car apparantly. :-o It's due renewel soon, I think I'll be changing my insurer. Silly sods.

wonderloaf

Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Love the chrome rear third light, where did you get it?

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
It isn't chrome, must just be the way the sun is hitting it. I am thinking about it, my plan was to remove the small panel above the light and put some chrome vinyl on it. Cheap and simple :-bd

wonderloaf

Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Wow if thats not chrome then you managed to get some shine on it! Had a quick look for a chrome part, they do seem rather expensive so will have to think about this...would be interested to hear about the vinyl if you get round to it.

wonderloaf

Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Wow if thats not chrome then you managed to get some shine on it! Had a quick look for a chrome part, they do seem rather expensive so will have to think about this...would be interested to hear about the vinyl if you get round to it.

Oop..double post 8-|

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Chrome vinyl isn't very flexible which could be a problem. I'm off sailing for a couple of weeks, when I get back I'll give it a go and post the results.