My other piece of machinery

impala

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Gazing at my other special piece of machinery the other day.....

ai1218.photobucket.com_albums_dd415_davetook71_IMGA0172.jpg

and comparing my reasons for owning it with the zed.....

ai1218.photobucket.com_albums_dd415_davetook71_Z34.jpg

it occured to me (and cover your eyes petrolheads) that I get these things pretty much only because I like the look of them.
I remember when the z3 was first released my then neighbour had preordered one and when it came I knew that one day I would have to have one. That day was pretty far off as wives, kids, finances and other assorted complications got in the way. I had already had a couple of juke boxes before the Ami Continental 2 that you see here but I had lusted after one ever since seeing the one in the film Ghost.
When I finally got the z3 I had done some research on them to make sure they weren't complete dogs but other than that I didn't really care about scuttle shake, tramlining or any other drawbacks that some people complained about. I just wanted to be able to sneak a peek out of my bedroom window and see it parked on the drive. I do of course enjoy driving it - the sound probably more than anything but its the looks that do it for me.
The jukebox when compared with a quality bit of hifi kit probably sounds terrible but when its lit up in the corner, not even playing.....well what can I say.
I've had a couple of motorbikes in days gone by that were bought pretty much on looks alone and pure kerb appeal when you buy a house seems to in my case outweigh other disadvantages.

Any one else out there buy on looks alone (not including women)(or men) - thats dangerous territory.

Merry Christmas,
Dave

Acousticplayer

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Hey Impala that juke box is a serious looker. My story is not dis-similar. When the Zed first appeared I promised myself that one day I would have one. The years passed and other things took priority. Then I made a promise to my Grandson that one day I would leave him something special in my will. Two promises solved in one go. My latest purchase purely for the looks is an Epiphone Sheraton Electric guitar. As my name implies I am an acoustic fan, can't play electric but this instrument is so beautiful, just looking at it is enough.

Regards

David.

Garythefish

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
S54 Z3M
What year is the Jukebox ?

My friend had a 1964 Bal-Ami loaded with records from 1964 (his birth year), he said the Bal part of the name came about because it was made or had offices in Balfour Road, Ilford Essex ??

Garythefish

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
S54 Z3M
MAURICE THE MARTIAN said:
Not into juke boxes,but the Zed looks :-bd what colour is it
:ymalien:

A clue could be in the choice of the posters name ;)

impala

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Hi Gazza,

Its 1962 and a USA one manufactured by AMI and yes your friend is right the Bal-Ami boxes were made between 1953 and 1962 by Balfour (Marine) Engineering Ltd in Ilford, Essex. I didn't know their address but it could well have been Balfour Road.

Dave

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Garythefish said:

I thought an impala was an animal that roamed the African plains, never knew it was a colour ,or am i wrong about that also :p

impala

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Hi Maurice,
Spot on about the african animal.......

and yes a BMW colour but quite rare - maybe the only one in the country?

Dave

Attachments

Garythefish

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
S54 Z3M
Garythefish said:

I thought an impala was an animal that roamed the African plains, never knew it was a colour ,or am i wrong about that also :p

:p :p :D

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
impala said:
Hi Maurice,

Dave
Many thanks for your sensible reply s:D s:D s:D
This old dog has learned something new today s;)

Jackster

Dedicated Member
Dave
Two fantastic bits of kit there, love the colour of the Z.

With the jukebox, is it all old 45's it plays? Do you have to put money in? great piggy bank if so.

Merry Christmas s:D

impala

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
With the jukebox, is it all old 45's it plays? Do you have to put money in?
Hi Jackster,
Yes it holds 100 45's dinked or undinked (middle removed) which can be selected both sides so 200 selections.
Got the juke box on freeplay at the moment. The piggy bank idea would be good if it accepted current coinage but being 1962 its in 'old money'

Merry Christmas to you to.

Dave

Z

zedonist

impala said:
Hi Maurice,

Dave
Many thanks for your sensible reply s:D s:D s:D
This old dog has learned something new today s;)
Think we need to add this to the Pedant feed, as you are incorrect, the phrase is "you cannot teach an old dog new tricks"............. ergo an old dog cannot learn somthing new, therefore by statement alone,you are not old, in that you have learned something new.................now there is a Brucie bonus for you!! s:D

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Acousticplayer said:
My latest purchase purely for the looks is an Epiphone Sheraton Electric guitar. As my name implies I am an acoustic fan, can't play electric but this instrument is so beautiful, just looking at it is enough.
Hi
I have a early Epiphone Sheraton 11 a lovely looking and sounding
guitar, the same as the one played by john lennon.
I also have a lovely Acoustic guitar an early Ovation
custon Balladeer, it sounds beautiful.

Acousticplayer

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Hi Ray. You must be walking around all day with a permanent smile on your face. A Sheraton an Ovation and an ///M to top it off. What more can a man want. Your Sheraton must be an early Korean model, reputed to be the best. Before Korea they were made in Japan and then production moved to China. I believe mine is one of the last built in Korea but I can't find it's serial number on any of the forums. I like the Ovations as well. Must be the only guitars designed by aerospace engineers. That distinctive headstock is beautiful and I adore the leaf fretwork on some of the models. I am playing a Taylor 414 at the moment but I aspire to a Lowden or McPherson that I tried at Sheehans Acoustic Avalon recently, but at £3500-£5000 it can't be justified for someone who doesn't play all that brilliant anyway!.

Best Regards and Happy Christmas.

David.

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Hi David

Try this site
http://guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

My sons the musician in the family, i thought he got his talent from me :ymsmug:
So i duly went out and bought the guitars and started to learn,
It proved he didn't get his talent from me /:)
I'm know looking for a milkman who can play the guitar. s:ymtwisteddevil

Yes david my sheraton is a Korean "Samick" Factory very high quality like yours

Of interest
My sons main guitar is a Les Paul "Starburst" he has so many guitars,
He has had the Les Paul for about 16 years, there is a small story to it,
He had just left school and wanted to play the guitar, one day whilst passiing a music shop,
he saw a guitar in the window, rushed home and said dad dad, i have just seen a guitar for £175,
would you lend me the money, after a bit or persquation i went to the shop to see it,
It was £1750, i did smile, anyway we decided on a repayment method, a saturday job
He now owns a fantastic guitar

Happy christmas David

impala

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Hi guys,

We need to see some pics of these beautiful instruments - after all the thread was about buying things on looks alone.

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Hi Impala

Sorry to Hijack your thread
i hope you like these

Uploaded with ImageShack.us