MY NEW ACQUISITION

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
Well today I got a new toy, nipped to the local auction house after an Austin 7 engine mounted as a running show engine complete with all ancillaries but came away instead with this:
mower 014.jpg
A 1927 Atco mower sold as an unknown quantity not run for a long time. Judging by it's appearance it would seem to have benefitted from a restoration at some point in the past, took an educated gamble and after a £30 bid it was mine. Got it back, some WD40 down the bore for half hour and tried turning it over to find it had compression, the engine number is very low (three digit) suggesting an original Villiers unit as Atco only started making mowers in 1921. No spark, but a quick clean up of the magneto and I got a good 'belt up the arm' on turning the engine over! Drop of 2 stroke in the tank and away it went :D Clutch had stuck but soon freed, it cut the grass beautifully so the blades were clearly sharp still. The pikies had it away with my last mower some years ago so I'll use it this season and perhaps do a full resto over winter in the correct shade of green. Brilliant old machine, a real leg and arm muncher!
Must get around to getting this old thing running too, not touched it yet, 50 quid 3 years ago:
mower 004.jpg

A real beast, it's not for girls!!

ZTec

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
What a bargain. I'd just tidy it up, lot to be said about original paint.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
How lovely :p
It's great :)

Grumps

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless
Are the roll hoops any good on it Adrian! :D

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z3 Roadie 2.8TU
That looks cool!

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I've just gone petrol the rear lawn is thst big electric was a right main in the rear.
Only stipulation the wife had was that the lawn had to have stripes o_O.
Got a really early Flymo cheap thats self driven makes life very easy.
Looked at a few of these too but nothing that cheap a real bargain but they where built to last.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Lovely bit of machinery, the castings on the framework are a work of art in themselves. :thumbsup:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z3M and Z4 (e89)
Well today I got a new toy, nipped to the local auction house after an Austin 7 engine mounted as a running show engine complete with all ancillaries but came away instead with this:View attachment 35954 A 1927 Atco mower sold as an unknown quantity not run for a long time. Judging by it's appearance it would seem to have benefitted from a restoration at some point in the past, took an educated gamble and after a £30 bid it was mine. Got it back, some WD40 down the bore for half hour and tried turning it over to find it had compression, the engine number is very low (three digit) suggesting an original Villiers unit as Atco only started making mowers in 1921. No spark, but a quick clean up of the magneto and I got a good 'belt up the arm' on turning the engine over! Drop of 2 stroke in the tank and away it went :D Clutch had stuck but soon freed, it cut the grass beautifully so the blades were clearly sharp still. The pikies had it away with my last mower some years ago so I'll use it this season and perhaps do a full resto over winter in the correct shade of green. Brilliant old machine, a real leg and arm muncher!
Must get around to getting this old thing running too, not touched it yet, 50 quid 3 years ago:View attachment 35955
Used one similar 30 odd years ago you could change the finger mower for a rotavator, plough etc, not sure if it was an Allen though but it was an absolute beast with three gears and steering clutches that required a diet of spinach to use.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
Well today I got a new toy, nipped to the local auction house after an Austin 7 engine mounted as a running show engine complete with all ancillaries but came away instead with this:View attachment 35954 A 1927 Atco mower sold as an unknown quantity not run for a long time. Judging by it's appearance it would seem to have benefitted from a restoration at some point in the past, took an educated gamble and after a £30 bid it was mine. Got it back, some WD40 down the bore for half hour and tried turning it over to find it had compression, the engine number is very low (three digit) suggesting an original Villiers unit as Atco only started making mowers in 1921. No spark, but a quick clean up of the magneto and I got a good 'belt up the arm' on turning the engine over! Drop of 2 stroke in the tank and away it went :D Clutch had stuck but soon freed, it cut the grass beautifully so the blades were clearly sharp still. The pikies had it away with my last mower some years ago so I'll use it this season and perhaps do a full resto over winter in the correct shade of green. Brilliant old machine, a real leg and arm muncher!
Must get around to getting this old thing running too, not touched it yet, 50 quid 3 years ago:View attachment 35955
We used to have Allen Scythe races when I was an agricultural apprentice engineer, we used to service them for the old Trent River Authority. Evil piece of gear in the wrong hands. Oh and riveting new sections onto that cutter bar was arm aching work. Imagine doing a 30' cutter bar out of a combine harvester.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
Used one similar 30 odd years ago you could change the finger mower for a rotavator, plough etc, not sure if it was an Allen though but it was an absolute beast with three gears and steering clutches that required a diet of spinach to use.
That sounds more like a machine made by the Ransomes Co.

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z3M and Z4 (e89)
That sounds more like a machine made by the Ransomes Co.

Tony.
Could be Tony, not sure what make it was though My Dad says it was a Iron Horse? but it was huge and difficult to use, well for a teenager anyway, not sure I would want to try to use it today TBH :thumbsup:

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.2i 'Kiwi'
Love the cast iron framework. I used a variety of Atco motor mowers years ago when I worked for Derbyshire County Council each summer during my student holidays.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
My mate has a business servicing and repairing mowers, he used to be next door to my garage. He had a machine for grinding the cylinders out of those things and when he finished one he would cut paper with them to test the setting all the way along the blade.

Tony.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
Just logged on, been outside on this balmy summer eve spoodling up me motor for tomorrow like a good chap. You can't beat a stripey lawn Ant, shows clarss. Was very surprised it kicked into life that easy, will look something after a repaint in the correct green. :)

I've just gone petrol the rear lawn is thst big electric was a right main in the rear.
Only stipulation the wife had was that the lawn had to have stripes o_O.
Got a really early Flymo cheap thats self driven makes life very easy.
Looked at a few of these too but nothing that cheap a real bargain but they where built to last.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
As you say Ztec I'll leave it untouched, a wipe over with an oily rag will do the Allen more justice, Atco on the other hand has been painted too light a colour so will get the treatment. Just remembered my Wolseley stationary engine lurking in the corner that needs doing too :D Saw one running at Shepshed Watermill last year which reminded me to get on with mine . . . then forgot!!

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
T-tony and Nodzed, absolutely correct there were a selection of attachments depending on what sort of maiming you had in mind !

Sean d

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Thats awesome, my main mower is a 1970s Hayter with a Briggs and Stratton engine, creates great stripes with the roller

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
When I started work my Dad bought a Hayterette rotary mower from where I worked. I still have this mower, after Dad died, and it cuts as good now as it did when it was new. Briggs and Stratton " Easy spin" starting engine.

Tony.

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
There was also a stonking great Dennis mower with seat trailer, would have dearly loved that but impractical, would have cut you lawn in just two passes!!! More useful at Trent Bridge, doubt it fetched a sight either.