Mot today

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Hi all , just wondering if anybody else have taken their Z for a MOT and the garage wants to see their LOG BOOK, I've asked why and he said it's to do with the PERSONAL PLATES, ( I've had same plates for 18 months and he didn't need log book last year ) THANKS :thankyou:

Last edited:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Not had that before Shelly, unless it's a new requirement. Last MOT I put mine in for was Feb this year, and that had a private plate on it.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
I wonder if it has anything to do with the MOT system now being computerised, I know this computerised system has been around for a while now but it would not surprise me if they are now collecting more and more information from your V5c to put on to their system. I certainly have never heard of this before.

reddyzeddygo

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 1.9i
Hi Shelly. Am sure I've had a couple of MOTs done with my private plates on and never yet been asked for the 'V5C' form.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Likewise mine was done in July and didn't ask for V5 showing my private plate. :confused:

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Likewise mine done in May with no problem. It may have something to do with the way the characters on some personalised plates are spaced and they have to check against official document. Whatever the reason they should be able to tell you where in the rules this is covered. I have just done a quick search on gov.uk :bookworm: and cannot find anything.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
:) Thanks for all your replys, I asked the garage when I took the Z why they needed the log book he said it was to check the year it was first registered , as that is what they need to do now with private plates, so they can put it on the computer, I've never heard of that b4 , hope it isn't a scam :( But I have used the same garage for 20+ years ;)

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
Absolutely cannot figure out what all of you are talking about. What is a 'MOT'. And you all speak about 'private plates'. As opposed to what? Do all of you have to have a set of private plates as well as government issued plates? Every one seems so intent on a log book. I realize one likes to keep log book on repairs to verify things that were done, to show a potential buyer when your going to sell, but everyone there seems so intense about it. It sounds scary like 'big brother' is watching. I can see there's a lot I don't know. I have difficulty trying to follow what everyone's talking about. I need a tutorial from you guys.

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
have to leave the computer now. Its 10:36 AM and I must do so many things today. But I looking forward to someone helping me with some explanations when I come back online. Thanks for your consideration. Frankie

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi @FRANKIE

MOT (Ministry of Transport) annual car safety test. Pretty rigorous, and a legal requirement here in the UK. They check pretty much everything and if your car fails, then it has to be taken off the road until the issues are resolved.

Private Plates. We can buy registration plates from the licensing authority, and we call them Private Plates or Personalised Registrations.

Hope that makes more sense.

Gaz

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Hey Shelly, Must be Allan's private plate, Sexy 1, That's worrying them
Mike

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
:thankyou:Thanks for explaining to Frankie what we are all talking about Gary ,
Yeah good number plate Sexy 1 , bet everyone will keep an eye out for it now :)
But who is the plate meant for ....... The Z or Alan ;)

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
I have private plates on all five vehicles never been asked
Mind you I always take old MOT with me
Although my mechanic mate has an app that gives him the year of car when he services them
So there could be some truth in their request

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Best private plate I've seen is MX5 4 HER on an MX5 driven by a lady. Thought it was brill.
Mike
PS. Shelly, Sexy 1 Is definitely Allan's plate not the Z's

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
@FRANKIE The log book is I guess what you would call the pink slip over there and is basically considered the title of ownership over here.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Perhaps its a new thing, but like Alan said all they had to do was put the reg in the computer and all the details would of come up , still seams strange tho ;)

B

badman gee

Gary, and Aceman, thank you for the explanations. Much clearer now. Also, I'm assuming the term 'sorned' means to winterize your car?
Sorned means take off the road.

This means no road tax for the sorned period.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Statutory Off Road Notification