Tony.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Welcome the change but do feel there should be criteria. for example, cars over 100k miles the MOT should be yearly.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
This is how we do it in Greece.
first mot - 4 years
Smog and noise - yearly
Full check - 2 years

cars over 30 years old have an annual inspection and over 40 years old have none.

Works fine so far.

Richard29

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 Auto
What is the reason for over 30s having yearly and over 40s having none?

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
I see enough cars with near bald tyres as it is.
Never mind the knobs who seem to think oil levels and tyre pressures are part of the Mot.
Be interesting to see how noise testing can be carried out. Can’t be done indoors. Motorsport/venue noise testing has strict criteria, distance/angle/revs to be consistent.

Peter1450

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Not a killjoy but how do all the current AMG/ M models get through current noise regs when they sound like a wailing Banshee on full chat?

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Valve in the exhaust.
Not sure how type approval testing is done but the Motorsport test is at halfway to the redline, if the valve is programmed/tuned to open after that, then it it can be much noisier. And often gets pulled.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I see enough cars with near bald tyres as it is.
Never mind the knobs who seem to think oil levels and tyre pressures are part of the Mot.
Be interesting to see how noise testing can be carried out. Can’t be done indoors. Motorsport/venue noise testing has strict criteria, distance/angle/revs to be consistent.
This baffles me. Are we not suppose to check our cars are roadworthy before any journey. This was what I was taught 17 years ago, you have to demonstrate you know where everything is and how to check. Drivers should be getting a slap on the wrist and fines for it.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Oil level is one of the pre checks a tester should carry out prior to even logging a vehicle onto the system. A tyre below pressure can result in a fail or refusal to test. Also part of the driving test too?

Tony.

• Agree
Reactions: Lee

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
As far as I know cars over 40 years old in the UK don't need an MOT either.

In any case the Onus is always on the driver to be sure that the car is roadworthy. Simply having a recent MOT doesn't give you an excuse to drive around with an unsafe car.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
I was under the impression that it was illegal to have an over-noisy car. Certainly removing a silencer to make the car sound more 'look at the size of my knob' should be an MOT failure anyway.

I always disliked the sound of an exhaust anyway. Too much fart and no go.

But I just love the induction sound from a set of webers.

• Haha
Reactions: Lee

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
no idea… but most of them over 40 years old have special plates, “club permit“ ones licensed by car clubs who usually are very strict on their checks and standards.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Most vehicles of more than 50 years old have had more love and care lavished on them than something say 10 years old and that is why, at 40 years old, they're still on the road today. Those type of cars were a pleasure to test simply because there was very rarely anything wrong with them.

Tony.