Misfire on Cylinder 3 with fuel cut off P1347

Mac_Gaz

A 2.2 in Estoril Blue
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
i have a 2001 Z3 2.2 Sport which has a really annoying problem.

Every time I take the car for a run, as soon as I put the engine under any strain (rev over 4kish) the engine warning light comes on and the car begins to run on 5 cyls.

I've tried clearing the misfire fault code and the car then runs fine again and will continue to do so as long as I keep the revs down, however as soon as I attempt to accelerate hard, the light returns and it goes back to running on 5.

I'm getting a small amount of smoke from the exhaust but not a massive amount. Car has done 95k and has a good service history.

Any clues on where to start would be massively appreciated.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
i have a 2001 Z3 2.2 Sport which has a really annoying problem.

Every time I take the car for a run, as soon as I put the engine under any strain (rev over 4kish) the engine warning light comes on and the car begins to run on 5 cyls.

I've tried clearing the misfire fault code and the car then runs fine again and will continue to do so as long as I keep the revs down, however as soon as I attempt to accelerate hard, the light returns and it goes back to running on 5.

I'm getting a small amount of smoke from the exhaust but not a massive amount. Car has done 95k and has a good service history.

Any clues on where to start would be massively appreciated.
I'm no mechanic mate but what are the plugs and leads like?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
All look ok, I'm hoping it's nothing serious, but I really get the impression that it might be.
View attachment 34311
Most of the mechanical Guru's will be out and about at this time of day but I suspect they'll dial in to assist soon.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
I really hope it isn't that... I'll cry!
Agree if that's what's wrong with yours that's head off to repair :(
Just said hi on your intro thread I take it you've not long bought the car. If that's the case previous owner probably knows about this and possibly why sold .
You'll need to get checked before deciding to take the plunge and dismantle the engine.

Mac_Gaz

A 2.2 in Estoril Blue
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Had it for a couple of months, it's been trouble free so far. I've done a good few hundred miles in it without issue, the previous owners seemed like lovely people so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I've ordered some new plugs and a coil pack... I live in hope!

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Hope it is just that :):)
You've got to start there. At the end of the day new plug and coil won't do any harm:thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
With that fault code it could possibly have an injector problem. You could try swapping the injector with another, here I'm assuming you know which cylinder is misfiring? Clear the code and see if the fault follows the injector.

Tony.

Mac_Gaz

A 2.2 in Estoril Blue
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Thanks Tony, the fault is with cylinder 3. I'll have a look on you tube to see if an injector swap is within my limited capabilities.
Huge thanks for the advice

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks Tony, the fault is with cylinder 3. I'll have a look on you tube to see if an injector swap is within my limited capabilities.
Huge thanks for the advice
Sorry Gary, just realised in was it the thread title.:(

Tony.

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I had the job of sorting my son's Z4M Coupé misfire this week. It was showing 'misfire cylinder 6' code and was a regular missed beat, not a splutter type. As it happened I had a coil and swapped it for the one in C6 with, apparently, a satisfactory result. The fuel cut-off might be a firmware feature shutting down the fuel supply to the affected cylinder to protect the engine from the effects of unburned fuel: bore wash and catalyst damage, etc. Good Luck- hope it sorts the problem. Please keep us informed; I have a 2.2i :whistle:

Last edited:

Mac_Gaz

A 2.2 in Estoril Blue
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I had the job of sorting my son's Z4M Coupé misfire this week. It was showing 'misfire cylinder 6' code and was a regular missed beat, not a splutter type. As it happened I had a coil and swapped it for the one in C6 with, apparently, a satisfactory result. The fuel cut-off might be a firmware feature shutting down the fuel supply to the affected cylinder to protect the engine from the effects of unburned fuel: bore wash and catalyst damage, etc. Good Luck- hope it sorst the problem. Please keep us informed; I have a 2.2i :whistle:
Much appreciated. I'll keep you posted.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
A good point re fuel shut off after detecting misfire. Easier to swap a couple of pencil coils first Gary.

Tony.

Mac_Gaz

A 2.2 in Estoril Blue
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Hi all. Swapped the coil pack between three and four.

Took the car for a blast, guess what....

Only seems to have bloody cured it, running like a dream, 10 miles relatively hard driving and no sign of any fault. It's baffled me, at best I thought the prob would move from cyl three to 4, at worst it would stay with three. But for it to be cured, well that was totally unexpected.
image.jpeg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Good result then Gary, could have been a bad connection maybe. :thumbsup: Hope that's the end of that.

Tony.