Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfire at tickover?

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by Indy, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Indy

Indy Newbie

Hello everyone, we are new to this so please be patient! We have a '97 1.9 16v that has a misfire on tickover. We have had the car 5 years and it has always burbled. The cat failed and the garage diagnosed camshaft sensor problems, so replaced. Problem still there so they checked plugs and leads, scoped primary and secondary ignition patterns. All appeared OK. They put in injector cleaner and we filled up with shell V Power, the only fuel we use. Misfire / burble still there, any ideas before it goes back in for further investigation. Many thanks for your help and time. Andy

2. Brian H

Brian H Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds Scottish Zeds

Model of Z:
    E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
    Have a look at your air intake hoses especially after the MAF, these are prone to splitting and therefore letting unmetered air to get in to the system. You should be able to do this yourself, just have a good nosey about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Welcome - agree with Brian's comment. Was the new sensor an OEM one? Have not done this job myself but have read many threads where non-OEM units have caused problems. Was their diagnosis based on reading the codes?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Indy

Indy Newbie

Thank you for your prompt replies. The sensor was changed due to a fault code reading. A OEM sensor was fitted. I will have a look at the hoses. Thanks again :)