Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirrors And Blind Spots

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Ragtop, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Ragtop

Ragtop Zorg Guru (III)

Model of Z:
    I came across the article below in a Sunday newspaper supplement last week. As I had a blind spot on my Zed I decided to give it a try. In all my driving years I have always had part of my car in my side mirrors.

Today was the first day I have tried it, and the blind spot has gone, it does seem strange driving and not seeing the nice hips on my Zed.

Has anybody else set their mirrors the same as in the article?

[​IMG]

2. Boysie

Boysie Zorg Guru (I)
    Supporter British Zeds M Power

Model of Z:
    M Roadster S50
    Interesting Ron
    I always set my wing mirrors like that on motorway driving
    A good tip though

3. stevie_a

stevie_a Zorg Guru (IV)
    Scottish Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3
    I have always set my mirrors so you have to move your head slightly to catch a glimpse of the side of your car

just like you suggest, have always done this since it was pointed out to me my my driving instructor when sitting my advanced driving test

I found that the Z3 has a naturally bad blind spot.

4. Snoops

Snoops Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    I don't have my mirrors like that, I too can see the hips of Zippy but I always look over my shoulder before changing lane.

I will give that a try though and see ...

5. r37

r37 Dedicated Member

i tried this but found parking to be a nightmare, the blindspots are gone but i struggled to see white lines and kerbs, currently sat somewhere in the middle with mirror positions.

6. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    My mirrors are positioned how my driving instructor told me 23 years ago. Have them with the door handle just showing, but only when you move your head slightly towards the mirror. His reasoning for having to move your head to see properly, is that it makes it obvious to the test examiner you are checking your mirrors during the test. Obviously having past my test 23 years ago, I could change it but it seems to work fine enough.
    However, I never change direction without looking over my shoulder. To bikers I believe it's called the 'life saver'.

It's not that I'm particularly worried about the majority of bikers; just the ones who act like it's my fault when I dont see them undertaking me, using their personal 'white lane' or approaching at a considerably higher speed than the conditions suggest sane...

7. Ragtop

Ragtop Zorg Guru (III)

Model of Z:
    I have been driving for over a month now with the new door mirror positions and have found it so much better. I feel very comfortable having a good view of any other vehicle around me and wouldn't go back to the previous mirror positions that I had used for 40 years. :)

I didn't follow the instructions above to the letter but set them as stevie_a has in his reply above.

8. wonderloaf

wonderloaf Regular Member

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.2i Sport
    I've also been driving with mirrors adjusted like this since I saw the post, wish I'd known 30 odd years ago when I started driving! :-bd