Mini Cooper Convertible experience?

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Anyone know anything about the Mini Cooper Convertible 1.6L?

I’m pondering getting one - secondhand, about 15 years old - as a runaround and know nothing about them other than they are BMW.

All comments will be much appreciated.

Bampz

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
My boy has had one for about 3 years it's a 2004 model , mileage about 100,000 miles , fitted with new clutch when he bought it as thrust bearing was noisy , had no real issues until recently when he complained the gearbox starting to play up and was looking to sell on , he said he had been told that on higher mileage one's the gearbox tends to be weak , doesn't feel right and grating a couple gears.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Thanks @Bampz

Any more thoughts fellow Zedders?

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
Avoid the auto boxes, known to be weak. If it’s a supercharged model check that the engine it not excessively noises as it drives the water pump. There are screws at the back to top the gear oil up but to access them you have to take the intercooler off the top of the engine, BMW has it a non servo axle a bit like our diffs but we know better. The soft top is prone to shrinkage and letting in water at the front window screen. Check the drainage holes on the doors as they can tend to corrode. For underneath check the subframe and sills for rust have a good poke as the rot can set in behind the plastics. I know it sounds like tyre kicking but the front wheel should not move when kicked pushed otherwise new control arms will be needed. At this age usual rubber bushings may need changing. Driving the Mini should be tight like a go kart. On the S model the suspensions a bit firmer and normal for some bump steer on really bad surfaces. We’ve had the first gen Cooper s and have a second gen coopers if you look at one of these go for a N18 engine variant as less prone to coking up due to direct injection. I don’t have experience of non S engined models though but should have evidence of regular servicing. Funnily enough the second gen Cooper s is cheaper to insure and tax.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Avoid the auto boxes, known to be weak. If it’s a supercharged model check that the engine it not excessively noises as it drives the water pump. There are screws at the back to top the gear oil up but to access them you have to take the intercooler off the top of the engine, BMW has it a non servo axle a bit like our diffs but we know better. The soft top is prone to shrinkage and letting in water at the front window screen. Check the drainage holes on the doors as they can tend to corrode. For underneath check the subframe and sills for rust have a good poke as the rot can set in behind the plastics. I know it sounds like tyre kicking but the front wheel should not move when kicked pushed otherwise new control arms will be needed. At this age usual rubber bushings may need changing. Driving the Mini should be tight like a go kart. On the S model the suspensions a bit firmer and normal for some bump steer on really bad surfaces. We’ve had the first gen Cooper s and have a second gen coopers if you look at one of these go for a N18 engine variant as less prone to coking up due to direct injection. I don’t have experience of non S engined models though but should have evidence of regular servicing. Funnily enough the second gen Cooper s is cheaper to insure and tax.
Interesting read and thanks. First and second generations: what dates are these? Is this the model changing, basically? I’ve spotted two: neither are S models, one is 2004 and the other 2006.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Mother in law had an 05 Cooper S, low miles admittedly but a brilliant car, wasn't a conv but obviously the same otherwise. Gave her no trouble at all other than the usual wear and tear stuff.

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
I think the change was from 2005. The second gen have things like mood lighting, a key fob you plug in and start button, headlights built into the body not the bonnet. Try and look for one with the harmon kardan sound system miles better in my wife’s 1st gen than the standard sounds in the second gen. HID headlights are not standard all across the range. I would have look on the mini2 forums lots to read on there.

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Coogan said something about feeling slightly "uncomfortable" driving one to Brydon....

Uncomfortable.jpg

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
One down: Gen 1 with a roof that wouldn’t work, passenger door and boot which were stuck, an oil leak on engine, all four tyres needed replacing, a juddering accelerator, heated seats that didn’t appear to work, dent and scratch along bottom of passenger door and that’s not mentioning seller was a dealer! Mentioned the mini had had a new cylinder head.

Not for me. Poor buyer is all I can say.

I am interested in the next one though. Another Gen 1 registered July 2006 and Gen 2 were introduced in November 2006. Good idea or what fellow Zedders?

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
At least you’ve avoided a lemon so far, plenty out there as long as your in no rush the right one will be found.

Personally I do like the minis. I’m not so keen on the convertible myself but wouldn’t have minded if the wife liked one but she didn’t so got the Cooper S :whistle: which we both like. Th engine bays are crammed though for working on. I think they are fun cars, parts are reasonably priced, plenty of secondhand spares as well. Just need to find a loved for example, worth paying the extra. what’s your budget if you don’t mind stating?

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
I haven’t really set a budget @Althulas I’m waiting to find a good one.

What are your thoughts on mileage? The one already viewed had 92000 on the clock; the one I’m next considering has 120000 plus.

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
With higher mileage cars as long as it looks great, has loads of receipts as proof of servicing, parts changed etc. I’m ok but average Joe blogs will be to tight to bother changing suspension bushes, dampers etc but to be honest I personally will start at lower to mid milage examples and want proof of servicing. One other thing to check is when you lift the oil cap off you can see quite a bit of the cams etc it should look quite clean and the head a cooperish colour and no bits of grit etc be surprised what unloved examples out there.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Excellent advice @Althulas thanks. I’ll heed every point.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
My Mum had a gen 2 one, nice car but all I remember is the roof having a major leak. I got it fixed but told her never to buy another one. My Fiance had a normal Mini first which was nice until it started overheating and again I said I'd not touch another Mini. But that's just my opinion. There are issues with the power steering on the gen 1's. Prior to my Mum having the convertible she had a normal cooper which ended up with the power steering issue before selling. If you go for one, try and get something with plenty of extras not just a bog standard one. There are plenty of other similar price cars out there with a lot more options as standard than a Mini offers.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I wouldn't touch one with a Barge pole.

Tony.

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
I recently bought a 2006 mini works gp it’s a great bit of kit and goes like the clappers certainly more practical than the z3. And having only 2 seats makes for a big boot area. Lovely to drive and sounds great too

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
Interesting read and thanks. First and second generations: what dates are these? Is this the model changing, basically? I’ve spotted two: neither are S models, one is 2004 and the other 2006.
In the convertible both these years are r52 1st generation. The convertible stayed 1st gen until about 07-08 where as the 3 door change over I think was late 06

Si

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0Si sport
Can't understand why anyone would say "I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole"
We have had 5 mini's all coopers four of them convertibles; they were mainly my wife's car so only really ever carried two people. Back seats are seriously uncomfortable for adults but they are great fun and generally drive really well, we ran Cooper 54 plate, then Cooper D 58 plate then Cooper S 64 plate which we found harsh and too firm for us (like roller skates) then cooper on a 16 and 18 plate. Only ever had one of them brake down and that was at home once - power steering problem on our 54 plate Cooper, the first one we had. Roof can be rattly on the convertible.
That said we were always within the warranty and TLC packs no costs for warranty work or servicing.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I have seen the bad side of Minis Si, that's why. I just don't like them, I don't rate them and they're no better to work on than the original Mini.

Tony.

ps. "That said we were always within the warranty". ;) You haven't seen the reality of an old Mini then.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
I have seen the bad side of Minis Si, that's why. I just don't like them, I don't rate them and they're no better to work on than the original Mini.

Tony.

ps. "That said we were always within the warranty". ;) You haven't seen the reality of an old Mini then.
And I’m thinking of one about 15 years old not new.

My pondering is still pondering!