Magnetic stone guards warning!!

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Right I've had my stone guards on for a week, the car was clean before putting them on but upon washing it again today I found some small metal rust dots around them. This is probably more noticeable on my car being white but got me worried as the guards must have picked up the metal debris travelling about. I'm not so sure wether to use them anymore but I also don't want stone chips :(

bessieblue

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Hi Daz3 is that around or behind the stone guards ? i'v had mine on for a while not noticed any problems.

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
never thought of that...... but they would attract and hold on to metal ...shame you had to find out the hard way but well spotted ...good warning :-o

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Yes, they do need taking off regularly, as they hold the water against the paintwork, I remove mine each time I put Mora in the garage whether I have washed her or not.
Mike

r37

Dedicated Member
SRP has very little cut, probobly surface rust, a common problem with white. iron x should cure it.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Had mine on for about 10 years without any issues

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Me thinks bullcock personally.
Think about where you put them when you remove them from the car, work bench for example?

Or maybe Daz3 has sprayed the car with an acrylic polymer emulsion......... :D

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Well mine were brand new and stored on the fridge until I used them for the first time. Bullcock or not I had rust particles on my car so won't be using them again.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
I do notice grit collects behind mine and you can see an outline when you take them off sometimes.. So being magnetic they could pick up metal sworf..

Hardtop have you been putting them on your helmet? Looks abit rusty..

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
^ Interesting, but I would still test them on the fridge first.................. :D

Z

zedonist

Daz,

Try 3M Ventureshield, i have been offered this when i have mine resprayed, looks good and effective on the old stone chips

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
Had mine for years and never had a problem, just make sure you only put them on when the car is cleaned. I always make sure the area is polished and waxed too :)

B

bonzo

Gave Zelda wash today, and for the first time in 3 washes took off the stone guards and........................just lovely Montreal Blue metallic paint!