M54 double vanos

Alan Godwin

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3. 3 Litre sport (automatic)
I was thinking of fixing my rattling vanos on my M54. I’ve read the threads posted on this forum going back for several years and I’ve watched the excellent video on u tube, seemingly the M54 is about the easiest one to refurb. Looks so simple I reckon I could do it myself. Tricky bits look to be removing the torx bolts ( left handed thread) they snap easy, and opening the vanos pistons. I have considered buying refurbished pistons from a site in Germany, vanos-tech. £200 with a £50 exchange. Might make the job easier, the seal kit and rattle kit costs around £100?. As I live about 5 miles from Mr Vanos at Darlington, I thought I would ask him for a price, he’s not very talkative, “Send it to me £450”. By which I presume he means, if I strip it down and remove the pistons he will refurbish them for £450, then I get to refit it. Doesn’t seem like a very good deal to me! Has anyone dealt with vanos - tech or knows of a uk company that supplies refurbished items?

Murray Wall

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.0L Roadsters
Having had to repair my VANOS twice to remove the rattle, I suggest that you do it yourself. Its a relatively easy job. Then you will know that it has been done right the first time.

Tips:
- Replace the 4 thrust bearings in the VANOS piston as well as fitting the anti rattle rings. This kit has the parts you want. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-BMW-...918272&hash=item4b53efd2ce:g:DhgAAOSw8-lb3HeY

- Once your pistons are ready to be put back into the VANOS housing, first test fit them to the helix cups and check for axial movement. Adjust the anti rattle rings or spacer as necessary. See step 11 in attached instructions.

Attachments

Alan Godwin

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3. 3 Litre sport (automatic)
Thanks for the info, I didn’t know there was adjustment on the rattle rings.

MRH1966

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
1.9 M43 , 2.8 auto & 2.0l
That's the kit we used........not a bad job, easy enough.......just follow the video/instructions