M52tu 2.8 camshaft upgrade

Sajk

Zorg Legend
Anyone have any experience here of doing this. Thinking Schrick 248/248. Schrick 264/248 will fit also but does not seem to be recommended for some reason.

Cheers

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Get a pair of 3.0 cams. They have 1mm more
Lift.

Sajk

Zorg Legend
I have a 3.0 intake cam and manifold. My understanding is that the exhaust cams are the same?

Confirmed in realoem. Same part number for exhaust cam

Last edited:

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Correct. The M52TU head is identical to the M54. You can swap them over. Intake and exhaust.

Sajk

Zorg Legend
Ok thanks. Not much point on the exhaust though as its the same part.

Johnydubya

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
Model of Z
2.3 Roadster
Is the 3.0 intake cam a drop in affair? Any other modifications needed so it will run without issue?

Sajk

Zorg Legend
Is the 3.0 intake cam a drop in affair? Any other modifications needed so it will run without issue?
On the TU both the 3.0 intake manifold and the intake cam are drop in EXCEPT you need an adapter plate for the 2.8 throttle body. A remap is required for max benefit and you are moving about 20% more air at max RPM according to my logs. Both engines share the same head.

The manifold and cam are responsible for a large percentage of the difference in HP between the 2.8TU and the m54 3.0. The additional displacement alone is not responsible for the 30+ additional HP.

It makes a very large difference to the 2.8

Sajk

Zorg Legend
Hey guys, after further experience i can assure you the m54 3.0 intake manifold and intake cam swap is the most cost effective power adder for m52tu 2.8. You will need a decent tune for wot but part throttle you should be be ok.

Cheers

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
That’s interesting to see some more options for the TU engine.
How’s the power delivery- any changes in the low down torque?

Sajk

Zorg Legend
I am sure there is on a dyno but nothing really noticeable in the Z. I am sure in the days when this engine was used to haul a 7 series barge around it would have been evident though.

id101

Zorg Addict
Is this the twin vanos 2.8? Or would it work on the single version too?

MisterP007

German-Italian-British Mix - What could go wrong?
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
My two-penny's worth on the manifold conversion on M52TUB28.

I have added the M54B30 manifold & DISA Valve (replacing the PCV with an oil separator at the same time), sorting out all the vacuum lines with new, ebay adaptor plate and standard M52TUB28 throttle body plus a re-mapped ECU to account for these.

The difference? idle to 3000rpm - a little bit more torque but not huge so goes much like a standard 2.8. Above 3000 rpm - "OHHHH MYYYYY GODDDDD!" The acceleration is relentless right up to the redline, the car nearly takes off.

Recommended mod? - Absolutely. This is, without doubt, the best "bang-for-your-buck" on a 2.8 double vanos car.

If you add in the following, which are also on my car, the difference is even more dramatic:

1. Pipercross foam cone filter (one for Vauxhall VXR - so large volume of air possible), make sure it gets plenty of cold air.

2. Cat-back custom twin 2.25" Stainless Steel Exhaust with quad tips (no silencers, original cat and resonator retained).

3. Delete Viscous Fan and add electric.

4. ECU re-map with: 7200 RPM limiter, Delete Secondary air pump, delete rear O2 sensor, mild tune (stage 1 ish), tune for the free-flow exhaust, M54B30 manifold and cone filter.

Not Done yet

I have not gone as far as a Cam upgrade.

I have not added a long-branch SS Header/Manifold for the exhaust, partly due to the lack of RHD items available (although I may have found one yesterday that fits), partly because the standard item seems to manage all the extra airflow OK but mainly because of the clearance issue with the steering column.

The main reason I have not yet gone further with the above bits and further tuning, is that the car is only 1150Kg (ish). This combined with the extra air-flow and fueling allowed by the conversion means it absolutely flies under full-throttle and has a very nice balance of power, agility, and feel. any more power "might" be overkill - but then again!!!!

Easy Job? Nope, the manifold is a PITA to get in and out mainly due to the amount of Macaroni (vacuum, PCV tubes). Most of these I have deleted/re-routed via an oil separator/catch can set up which works really well and does not shove all of the mustardy, oily crap down my inlets (clean valves), and deleting the Secondary Air Pump.

If you need any help drop me a line. Good luck.

Sajk

Zorg Legend
The 3 litre intake cam added about 8 to 10% airflow as logged through the maf over and above the manifold. The cat cams added about another 5%. The manifold removes one restriction the airflow through the valves becomes the next.

MisterP007

German-Italian-British Mix - What could go wrong?
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
The 3 litre intake cam added about 8 to 10% airflow as logged through the maf over and above the manifold. The cat cams added about another 5%. The manifold removes one restriction the airflow through the valves becomes the next.
I thought about the cams but did not want to get "into" the engine at the point I did the manifold etc. Maybe one day.