M52 stroker

Ashbandicoot

Passed Away, July 27 2015
Deceased
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Has anyone fitted the M54 crank to an M52 - a google search turns up some results on e36s, It can be done on the Z but more importantly has anyone ever done this?

There seems to be alot of threads elsewhere stating the internals will sit straight in the M52, but I can't find out exactly what I need to be buying..

Crankshaft
Pistons
Connecting rods

Thoughts/guidance much appreciated otherwise I will proceed blind and update you all :)

Ash

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
What is the advantage of doing this. Higher compression? If that's all, couldn't you just skim the head?

Ashbandicoot

Deceased
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Jack, I believe the C/R is increased, there aee threads which quote figures but none seem to agree. Displacement is increased to ~3l and there are gains of 20bhp quoted.

I can't find any real proof for gains, only remarks that say it will match the performance of the S50B30 engine at around 280bhp for the following build -

M52 head
M50 manifold
S52 cams
M54 crank

Ash

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
It would be easier, and may be wiser, to just upgrade to a 3.0 unless you really want to "do it yourself"

It's great to see people experimenting though and wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same?

Ashbandicoot

Deceased
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I started with the m52 head, I've done the next 2, so the crank seems the next illogical step lol

I like the wolf in sheeps skin theme and the end build will not be the same as a 3l Z

Ash

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I'm afraid my enthusiasm for this type of mods is long gone but I am still very interested to hear of what can be done. Good on you Ash.
Me, I'll start saving up to swap to a 3.0 be it Z3 or Z4.

Tony.

Z

zedonist

If your going for the striker kit, I would go bigger bore, lighten and balanced flywheel to the crank, you can forget 3.0 litre then, as you could make this 3.1

Ashbandicoot

Deceased
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
This is a good read
http://www.metricmechanic.com/produ.../m50-m50tu-m52-s50-s52/3200-sport-engine-kit/
I will be going down this route later next year with 2.1 M44
I think that requires a bigger budget than mine, I can pick up a m54B30 engine for between £700-900.

Cost of labour isn't my limiting factor, the guy I use is really honest and only asks for £80 for a days work!

Will the ECU learn the new displacement or is something that requires mapping? I am already eyeing a remap that is off the shelf but designed specifically for the M50 man + S52 cams..

Ash

Ashbandicoot

Deceased
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I'm afraid my enthusiasm for this type of mods is long gone but I am still very interested to hear of what can be done. Good on you Ash.
Me, I'll start saving up to swap to a 3.0 be it Z3 or Z4.

Tony.
Cheers

You best get a can of this ;)

Ash

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I'm a past expert at removing as well as applying mate. I used to work for a commercial (van) dealer and some of the trade-ins would come in absolutely covered in decals etc. Nightmare!

Tony.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
What is the advantage of doing this. Higher compression? If that's all, couldn't you just skim the head?
By putting a
I think that requires a bigger budget than mine, I can pick up a m54B30 engine for between £700-900.

Cost of labour isn't my limiting factor, the guy I use is really honest and only asks for £80 for a days work!

Will the ECU learn the new displacement or is something that requires mapping? I am already eyeing a remap that is off the shelf but designed specifically for the M50 man + S52 cams..

Ash
wow you must love this guy!! If you go the full stroker as Zedonist has laid out you're pretty much into ///M territory. Wouldn't you just love to smoke one at Santa Pod?? I said when I bought my car that it was just going to stay to way it came but Rich has started me thinking hard. Imagine if you put a little NOS kit on your engine?? JIM

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Sorry@Jack Ratt, never got around to finishing the post. But basically it follows my reply to Ash. JIM

Ashbandicoot

Deceased
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Little update, I have sourced the parts. Found a M54 bottom end for £250 or best offer incl delivery. I have also budgeted for £200 of consumables; replacing head gasket, head bolts, crank seal and big end bearings.

Spoke to my guy, he is having a think on fitting and will get back to me tomorrow. Also pencilled in 14th March for my remap, looking at meeting them at an indy rolling road so that he can assess the fuel/air and adjust as required. Should be good to get a post mods figure without bias.

Ash

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Little update, I have sourced the parts. Found a M54 bottom end for £250 or best offer incl delivery. I have also budgeted for £200 of consumables; replacing head gasket, head bolts, crank seal and big end bearings.

Spoke to my guy, he is having a think on fitting and will get back to me tomorrow. Also pencilled in 14th March for my remap, looking at meeting them at an indy rolling road so that he can assess the fuel/air and adjust as required. Should be good to get a post mods figure without bias.

Ash
Check out my post @zedonist for my reply to this!! Been layed up due to med problems the past couple of days but it's supposed to be warming and the wind's died down so hoping to get some pics for you shortly. If you look at item Number 281576828690 the pic shows the parts I need. HTH JIM