Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M44 Engine install in Z3

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Barry Gadd, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Barry Gadd

Barry Gadd Zorg Addict
    British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Z3 1.9L
    My original engine had water in oil and I thought it would be the head gasket. Sadly no... the head was pitted.
    I thought about getting the head skimmed but then found a lower mileage M44 1.9L on ebay which I have now got.
    I've taken out the original engine but now having a heck of a job getting the new engine to fit to the gearbox bell housing. I haven't taken out the front cross member as I'm nervous about leaving the front part of the car unbraced and there is a hydraulic steering pipe running alongside it.
    Anybody done this job before?
    I will persevere but if anybody does know a way of simplifying this job I'd be very grateful.

2. zedonist

zedonist Guest

I know it might seem a lot of work, but I would remove the gear box, and then fit the engine, then refit the gear box, it has to be easier that way, the same as replacing a clutch then.