M buyers guide?

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,653
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
as above is there one knocking about?
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
Are you looking for one swamps?? :D
 

GazHyde

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
Joined
Dec 2, 2011
Messages
15,695
Location
Newbury, Berkshire
Model of Z
Z4 M Roadster
I certainly think we have enough members on here who have recently purchased to start compiling one, eh Liam?

If people want to start posting suggestions/recommendations of what to look for in here then I will compile it in to a Wiki article.

Gary

p.s. Go on swamps, you know you want one!
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,653
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
z3cade said:
Are you looking for one swamps?? :D
yes.......!

Liam can i bell you?


GazHyde said:
I certainly think we have enough members on here who have recently purchased to start compiling one, eh Liam?

If people want to start posting suggestions/recommendations of what to look for in here then I will compile it in to a Wiki article.

Gary

p.s. Go on swamps, you know you want one!
and yes please.........make it fast people im itching @-)
 

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
939
Location
Raglan. South Wales
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Jonttt has compiled a write up taken from a book Living with a Z3M roadster/coupe but i am afraid you will have to nip to .net and put it in the search box, and then nip back ;)
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,653
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
cheers Hornel... ;)
 
B

badman gee

Guest
Try and buy one from a forum member like Liam has.

There are some important things to check, including service history, boot welds, vanos issues.

You can tell a lot by the overall condition to whether its been looked after.

You need to be lucky too.

I've had mine over a year, Ive had no problems yet (touch wood)

Mark
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,653
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
badman gee said:
Try and buy one from a forum member like Liam has.

There are some important things to check, including service history, boot welds, vanos issues.

You can tell a lot by the overall condition to wether its been looked after.

You need to be lucky too.

I've had mine over a year, Ive had no problems yet (touch wood)

Mark
boot welds i know about......however vanos issues i dont have a clue...?
 
B

badman gee

Guest
They can sound like a tractor on tickover if they are worn.

They can be tested by putting the car in 4th gear at low speed. Floor the throttle (if road clear ;) ).

Keep an eye on the revs, you should feel a power surge at round 4000rpm if they are working properly.

I may be wrong on the revs but I'm sure someone will put me right.

Mark
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
:ymapplause: good choice swamps!

Yes you can call mate, as long as it's not to ask me to sell mine :))

You need to find a good one.. Place a wanted add on here and .net and see if some members are looking to sell.. How I found my beauty :x
 

Jonttt

Zorg Addict
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
328
Location
Liverpool (UK)
Model of Z
///M S54
badman gee said:
They can sound like a tractor on tickover if they are worn.

They can be tested by putting the car in 4th gear at low speed. Floor the throttle (if road clear ;) ).

Keep an eye on the revs, you should feel a power surge at round 4000rpm if they are working properly.

I may be wrong on the revs but I'm sure someone will put me right.

Mark
Its easier than that, rev to 2.5k and let idle back. If it sounds like a bag of marbles then the VANOS has a problem.

These days its a sub £600 fix. Its more important that the bolts were swapped for the upgraded ones (it was a recall item and would show on the warranty report on the VIN from any dealer). If these fail its engine gone x_x

These are highly tuned engines so will sound rougher than the 3 litres etc... until warmed up. If you get in one with a bad VANOS noise you will know it ;-)

Otherwise most of the checks are the same as for a non ///M
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,653
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
just spoke to the chap and hes going to send me some more pics.
iv quizzed him about the vanos issues which he says there are none.
hes going to send pics of the boot welds and the hood.
hes had it for 4 years with no problems but hes scratched the rear wing on the garage door.
opinions please..
Devon's a long way to come back empty handed...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=490
 
B

badman gee

Guest
swamper said:
just spoke to the chap and hes going to send me some more pics.
iv quizzed him about the vanos issues which he says there are none.
hes going to send pics of the boot welds and the hood.
hes had it for 4 years with no problems but hes scratched the rear wing on the garage door.
opinions please..
Devon's a long way to come back empty handed...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=490
Very good price, and a good colour.

Re the wing, not a major issue. Bodywork can be sorted.

Check the service history.

Mark
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,653
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
services were BMW until 2 service back then BMW specialists
 
B

badman gee

Guest
swamper said:
services were BMW until 2 service back then BMW specialists
Not a problem.

I would rather use a good indie to a main dealer.

I've got a cracker in Peterborough.

Second to none.

Very trustworthy and no fear of the car being marked in the process.

Mark
 

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
6,538
Location
Langley Mill
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Are you after one so you dont have to keep reving the bo===ks of the 1.9 on the cruises wayne.
bill
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
swamper said:
just spoke to the chap and hes going to send me some more pics.
iv quizzed him about the vanos issues which he says there are none.
hes going to send pics of the boot welds and the hood.
hes had it for 4 years with no problems but hes scratched the rear wing on the garage door.
opinions please..
Devon's a long way to come back empty handed...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=490
If at all possible you need to have alook at a good example so you can compare..

I looked at one before I got mine and the condition was awful when I viewed it.. Even though the photos looked good.. Don't jump at the first one is all I can say.. if any alarm bells start ringing while viewing walk away.

Hold out for a prime example.. They are out there ;)
 
B

badman gee

Guest
z3cade said:
swamper said:
just spoke to the chap and hes going to send me some more pics.
iv quizzed him about the vanos issues which he says there are none.
hes going to send pics of the boot welds and the hood.
hes had it for 4 years with no problems but hes scratched the rear wing on the garage door.
opinions please..
Devon's a long way to come back empty handed...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=490
If at all possible you need to have alook at a good example so you can compare..

I looked at one before I got mine and the condition was awful when I viewed it.. Even though the photos looked good.. Don't jump at the first one is all I can say.. if any alarm bells start ringing while viewing walk away.

Hold out for a prime example.. They are out there ;)
The first one could be the best :)
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,653
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
yep thats what im thinking Liam......but iv never had a good mooch around a M

billz said:
Are you after one so you dont have to keep reving the bo===ks of the 1.9 on the cruises wayne.
bill
errr yep and no really Bill.......the thing is i keep buying mods to put on the 1.9.......and when i look at what i want its already on the M.....so im going to cut my losses and just buy an M
i was pricing up the new brakes i want and it starts to get silly...then theres the suspention..and so on...you get what i mean ;)
 
Top