lowering springs for the M

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
im thinking of getting her lowered as she rides i bit tall at the moment...can only afford the springs at this time...so whos running which type....and any recommendations please?
 
Z

zedonist

Guest
Swamper

In my opinion and based on correct manufacturing processes employed you need to look at the correct Mtech option if available or either the options from H&R or Eibach, the reason being they employ both tempering and shot peening which reduces the stresses and results in less sag, with the other after market makes you get the potential for stress hardening and therefore cracking (the same as you see on non oem replacement springs).

I have audited the routes of several of these companies for use in applications in our designs, and in my opinion you will not get better than H&R or Eibach for quality control, and you have to take into account they also supply OEM springs.

The reason i say look at the OEM Mtech option (if available) is that it will have been tested by BMW on the very application.

Rich
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
spot on reply Rich thanks.............seem to be having problems finding Eibach ones for the Z3M....H&R seem to be coming in at about £300-£350.
the concern i have is that when i get round to fully up-rating the suspension is that the springs iv bought will go with the new struts (S54)...i really dont want to buy twice
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
swamps, mines running on Intrax springs ( made in Holland ) and Blistern B8 shocks along with H&R anti roll bars.. I can say its a lovely set up :x it's a comfortable ride not hard at all and sits like I flat bed round the bends.. :D

http://www.intraxracing.nl/
 

Aceman

Moderator
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
2,230
Location
Wakefield
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I have a full S54 setup waiting to go on mine just need to find the time to fit it all.
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
z3cade said:
swamps, mines running on Intrax springs ( made in Holland ) and Blistern B8 shocks along with H&R anti roll bars.. I can say its a lovely set up :x it's a comfortable ride not hard at all and sits like I flat bed round the bends.. :D

http://www.intraxracing.nl/

thats along the lines i would go....but for the moment i would just be looking at the springs.....and cost is going to factor in here for the time being as i sell my spare parts.
couldn't seem to find a price for intrax springs but will keep looking and do some research on them.
dont the ARBs need strengthening brackets put in place as the original ones can break.

Aceman i'd be very interested to know how you get on?
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
I'll have alook through my paper work later and see if I can find an invoice for the springs. As you know the car came with all the mods fitted by previous owner but from looking under the car it looks like the ARBs came with new fixing brackets and bushes..
IIRC most of the parts were supplied through www.Evolveautomotive.com
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
cheers Liam ......looks like your brackets have been done then ;)
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
Right the springs were £250 from evolve mate ;)
there a very good spring..

Hope that helps
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
sorted thats not bad ;)
any info on them?

just phoned Eibach and they dont do a road one... :(
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
if you give evolve a ring mate they will be able to sort you out and give any recomendations 0871 231 1001

Looking through my paper work scares me abit.. its had near 10K spent on it over the years on parts and maintance..

Want some Schrick cams.. £943 :-o
Supersprint backboxes + decat pipe £1350
simota + remap £550
Bilstein B8s £410
new vanos + cam fitting £1189

Bmw warranty boot floor repair £2780 :ymsick:

The list goes on... x_x
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
bloody hell :-o

ill just wait for some of the parts iv sold to clear then im on it ;)

edit...just phoned then and there £220.....better than OE with a 30mm drop ;)

right anyone want to buy some wheels :))
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
Just edited my post.. ;)

The bilstein B8s were from euro car parts.. seems a bargin! Fronts £103.34 each rears £71.18 each..

Maybe worth a thought??
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
z3cade said:
Just edited my post.. ;)

The bilstein B8s were from euro car parts.. seems a bargin! Fronts £103.34 each rears £71.18 each..

Maybe worth a thought??
are they a bolt on fitting and is that with vat?

can i just say.........!...i bleeding hate talking to you.....you always cost me money...! :))

so were looking at around 600 fitted
 

Aceman

Moderator
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
2,230
Location
Wakefield
Model of Z
///M Roadster
swamper said:
Aceman i'd be very interested to know how you get on?
Will do, I have got all the bits an pieces to do the job like new bolts, gaskets and mounting cups for the rear springs etc. which cost another £50 on top would you believe so everything there for me to actually do it just need the time. I think I will also get a set of new droplinks probably go for the Meyle ones that the coupe guys recommend. I have got the standard springs to go on which are like new as are the shocks tbh and was told the S54 upgrade makes a marked difference to the handling whilst keeping it all OEM so I hope to see an improvement. As I did a similar thing to my last Z3 I am hoping I will find the job easier this time knowing what I am doing in the first would help.

I will let you know how I get on and what pitfalls to watch out for, are you planning to do it yourself or getting your indy to do it ?
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
Yep seems to be including vat. ;)



Go on treat yourself!! :D

Its an awesome set up mate beileve me..
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
i love you and hate you at the same time... :ymhug: X(

send me your phone number iv lost it ?
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
Aceman said:
swamper said:
Aceman i'd be very interested to know how you get on?
Will do, I have got all the bits an pieces to do the job like new bolts, gaskets and mounting cups for the rear springs etc. which cost another £50 on top would you believe so everything there for me to actually do it just need the time. I think I will also get a set of new droplinks probably go for the Meyle ones that the coupe guys recommend. I have got the standard springs to go on which are like new as are the shocks tbh and was told the S54 upgrade makes a marked difference to the handling whilst keeping it all OEM so I hope to see an improvement. As I did a similar thing to my last Z3 I am hoping I will find the job easier this time knowing what I am doing in the first would help.

I will let you know how I get on and what pitfalls to watch out for, are you planning to do it yourself or getting your indy to do it ?
iv never done any suspension so im not sure i could do it myself...... :-\
 

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
1,980
Location
Peterborough
If anything fit the rear shocks and springs yourself Wayne. There so easy..
Then just have the fronts fitted professionally.. Fronts are a pig with limited tools..

I would recommend replacing the top mounts too.. About £8 each for the rear from euro
 

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
2,646
Location
Bacup
Model of Z
M
see pm matey ;)
 
Top