Legendary Car Stereo Installer

jasecasecarr

British Zeds
Model of Z
So I recently bought a Z3 when I was looking round it I got a slight heart flutter as I spotted a plaque between the seats.

Had I maybe stumbled across a limited edition model.

On closer inspection it turns out the guy who installed the stereo decided to place this plaque on it commemorate the occasion.

I have never seen anything like this in an any other car before. Am I talking out of turn is Peter Doidge a legendary installer of audio equipment in the BMW community?

The thing seems welded in so it looks like he is staying immortalised in the car for now.

Attachments

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift (Izzy)
I'm no expert, but have never seen this or heard of this guy before.

I hope the audio is good, but I really dislike how he's capitalised every word of "System Designed And Installed", and the way the plaque overhangs the edge of the lid 🤢🤢🤢

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter

this “legend” is still around. Maybe you can find him on facebook also.

i would give him a call, for old times sake. Form what I see on the internet he was “someone” back in the s€x spec era of Max magazine and such stuff.

Attachments

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Wow! Searched some more and BAM!
he was a legend back in the day…
IMG_5453.jpeg

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
definitely give him a call. i am sure you may like the conversation and maybe learn some history of your car also.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
It's just a shame he doesn't have badges that fit the space he puts them on! ;)

Also....why would you install two speakers directly next to each other? They won't give any separation. One would have been neater and more room for the huge 'I was here' badge of honour.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter

Also....why would you install two speakers directly next to each other? They won't give any separation. One would have been neater and more room for the huge 'I was here' badge of honour.
It was not about sound quality back then. It was all about POWOAAAAAAA and da lookz.

Attachments

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
It was not about sound quality back then. It was all about POWOAAAAAAA and da lookz.
But I can't see Peter's legendary badge anywhere. Maybe he was just a legend in Narfolk (or Gt Yarmouth, or his street, or even his own mind).:p

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
99 2.0

That is where the Bass driver normally sits, so its likely that because he could not find a dual coil driver, he just used two, as I did in my retrofit,, but I did not cut into lid, I replaced the drone cone "passive radiator" with a driver and ran it reversed polarity to the rear fire one.. bit of mucking around with spacers and PCD,s though... There is a write up here somewhere from a few years ago...

BuxtonZ3Guy

Zorg Addict
So I recently bought a Z3 when I was looking round it I got a slight heart flutter as I spotted a plaque between the seats.

Had I maybe stumbled across a limited edition model.

On closer inspection it turns out the guy who installed the stereo decided to place this plaque on it commemorate the occasion.

I have never seen anything like this in an any other car before. Am I talking out of turn is Peter Doidge a legendary installer of audio equipment in the BMW community?

The thing seems welded in so it looks like he is staying immortalised in the car for now.
I would be interested to know what it sounds like. :)

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
2.8 Widebody
Here's the legend himself...

1724791173856.png

Complaining about his big Crack