Knob removal !!

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
For quite some time now I have had a Storm Motorwerks V1 gearknob ready to fit to my zed but for the life in me I cannot get the one currently fitted off and believe me I have pulled it so hard I have turned blue. It is the chrome oem ///M version so plastic with leather facing and I don't really want to damage it taking it off but I feel that is the only way it is going to come off. I notice from the piloe of receipts I got with the car it was fitted by Munich Legends several years ago so whatever they did they didn't mean for it come off EVER again.

So has anybody got any suggestions in removing my knob without damaging it as I would really like to put the Storm one on for zedfest.

B

badman gee

i had the same problem, but it came off in the end, constant twisting and pulling.

:)

Jonttt

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
///M S54
They may have glued it on.

I'm not familiar with that one and presume it should just be a push fit with no grub screws ?

Freds Dad

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I recently fitted a Stormwerks knob, handbrake and cig blank (pics to follow) but my knob came off after a couple of twists and a pull. ;) Make sure you have the roof down when you do it though

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
If there is no grub screw at the base then I would go with Jonttt's suggestion that it's been glued.

My original knob was always coming off whilst driving (sorry, there really is no other way to phrase that!), but even the replacement I bought would remove with a good hard pull. (fnarr, fnarr).

Tufarlian

Dedicated Member
Try a hairdryer :)

Seriously, if it's just stuck or even if it's been glued warming it up can really help unstick it.

Cheers

Mark

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Thanks for the replies guys but seriously this sucker is stuck on well and truly even the Hulk couldn't pull it off. :D

Good call with the hairdryer though will give that a go when I get chance.

Here is what is presently in place and proving to be a stubbern sod;

Attachments

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Aceman said:
believe me I have pulled it so hard I have turned blue.

any suggestions in removing my knob without damaging it.
=)) =)) =))

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I wondered when this thread would descend into the realms of perversion :))

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Sorry couldn't resist that one.. ;)

It does sound like its been glued on there Aceman.. You may have to resort to hacking it off if it won't move :(

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
No worries I kind of invited that kind of response the way I worded the thread. ;)

It is definatly glued on but they must have used concrete or something so if the heat treatment doesn't work I fear the destructive method maybe my only option left, pity though as it is worth £30-40 if it comes off intact.

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Aceman said:
this sucker is stuck on well and truly even Titan couldn't pull it off
and
Aceman said:
I fear the destructive method maybe my only option left, pity though as it is worth £30-40 if it comes off intact.
It will cost you more than £40 if I have to pull it off :-s
But why pick on me - there are much bigger plonkers on this forum ;)

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Not picking on you at all but have you forgotten that you have already had a go at trying to remove it last year at CITP Harewood, Bill couldn't get it to budge either. :)

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Aceman said:
Not picking on you at all but have you forgotten that you have already had a go at trying to remove it last year at CITP Harewood
You've definitely got your wires crossed Ian - I wasn't even at Harewood last year [-x
So I don't know who this impostor was, but they can't have been very strong :p
However, if you want me to pull it: "Come up and see me sometime" as they say :D

Please note that I'm good, but I'm not cheap :ymdevil:

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Apologies I swear blind it was you and Bill who were having a good old pull. I am going to be racking my brain all day now until I remember who the other mystery man is. :p

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Apology accepted - and my offer still stands :-^

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
The best way first is to try as if you are unscrewing it back and forth this will create heat in it and may loosen the glue if it has been stuck on, they are very dificult, ;) but do come off.

M00N0

I recently fitted a Stormwerks knob, handbrake and cig blank (pics to follow) but my knob came off after a couple of twists and a pull. ;) Make sure you have the roof down when you do it though
This was quite a while back for you but do you remember how to fit the handbrake? More specifically, I cannot for the life of me work out how to fit the button properly to it. Is there some form of adaptor required?

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Now that's a serious thread revival!